Berlin - yes or no?

Search

Berlin - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin - yes or no?

We are on a 10 day Cruise which stops from 7 AM to 11PM at Warnemunde. The Cruise ship calls it a Berlin Port but it looks like a 2 1/2 trip each way to Berlin by Train plus over $600 for the two of us for a day. Love to have some opinions from those of you who may have done the Berlin thing from Warnemunde.

Dan
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:29 PM

I can;t imagine how the train fare can be $600. Have you checked bahn.de - don;t know your dates or times - but it seems likely you can get there for MUCH less than that.

And yes - Berlin is worthwhile - for the Pergamon Musuem if nothing else.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 05:05 PM

Hi Rhinowin,

I have a shorter time frame, but in Rostock. We're definitely going to Berlin as my family really wants to visit the city.

I checked on bahn.de, and it costs my family of 4 a total of €255.20 from Rostock to Berlin. That's only roughly $306 at an exchange rate of 1€ = $1.20 USD

When are you going and on what ship? You're not looking at a cruise tour are you? I felt it wasn't worth it for my family (and they agreed), so we're trodding along on our own at our leisure.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. We going on the Amsterdam (HAL) and leaving Copenhagen on July 22nd on a 10 day cruise. I don't have the itenerary in front of me but the so-called Berlin stop is one of the last ones.

Dan
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 11:41 PM
hsv

A lot of cruise ships dock at Rostock-Warnemuende and arrange daytrips to Berlin from there.
To be honest, I think the idea is ridiculous.
Travel times by train are around 3.5 hours one-way.
By bus it might be feasible to cover the distance within 2.5 hours - again one-way.
Berlin is a worthwhile city (and I love it) - but large and very spread out. It takes time to properly see things. But with travel times like that it'll be tough to really enjoy the day there - the utmost that would be feasible might be to take a scenic tour by bus through the city and then head back (else it would be strenuous).

Rostock itself has a fairly pretty old town - some beaches in the near vicinity are also quite nice - and there is lovely nature waiting on the Fischland/Darss peninsula to name a few alternative options. I might be tempted to try such rather than trip it to Berlin.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 01:44 AM
hsv

Forgot to mention that there's also a fascinating huge gothic cathedral in Bad Doberan, a mere half hour by train from Warnemuende. You could combine avisit there with another small train ride (historic) to Heiligendamm, a super upscale resort at the Baltic coast nearby.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:52 AM

hsv: I agree with you. I'm much rather roam around Rostock than take a 2.5 hr train ride to Berlin, but majority rules on this one, and we're going to Berlin.

I'm secretly hoping that Berlin and (their as yet unknown trip to) Rostock will pique their interest so I can take them back in the near future.