Berlin suggestions

Search

Berlin suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin suggestions

We are thinking about going to Berlin for 2 or 3 nights in September. I haven't been to Berlin since the fall of the wall. Is the Checkpoint Charlie museum still there?
What I am really looking for are suggestions on what to do there. When I was there, I was a student and and we just hung out and went to the bars. We are looking for historical stuff and "sightseeing" things to do. Any ideas??
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 07:44 AM
sjj

If you're interested in antiquities, the Pergamon Museum on the Museum Insull, about a mile east of the Branderburg Gate, has a Greek temple frieze that makes the Elgin Marbles look sick and a fascinating reconstruction of the Ishtar Gate from ancient Iraq.
You can find other attractions in "Berlin", an Eyewitness Travel Guide, by Malgorzata Omilanowska.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:12 AM

The checkpoint charlie museum is still there. Check out the Brandenburg Gate, Holocost Museum, Jewish Museum, Museum Island...there are many historical sites and they are listed in every tourbook.
Have fun.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Ich bin ein berliner!!I love the place. Fond memories, though 10yrs old.Envy you.
More details here:
http://www.berlin.de/museumsfuehrer.en/index.html
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:11 PM

My daughters and I were in Berlin 2 years ago. We stayed in Mercure Hotel and Residenz Checkpoint Charlie which was just a short walk from Checkpoint Charlie and the museum. There are so many places to visit in Berlin like the museum island and the various museums there, the Berliner Dom, the Reichstag, Brandenburg gate, to name a few. We walked the entire length of Unter den Linden and along the way there were a lot of things to see and do already. We did not take a guided tour of the city and pretty much relied on the "Eyewitness" guide that I got. One of the tips in that book was to take the bus 100 which passes through all the major sights in Berlin so you can just hop on and off whenever and wherever you wish to explore. If you have some extra time, you can also visit Potsdam which was just outside the city. By the way, while in Berlin do forget to visit KaDeWe department store and go up to the 6th floor where you can get the best German (and also European)food and delicacies. Nice place to shop as well.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM

There's a great 3-1/2 hour free walking tour you can take--forms up at 11 AM outside of Starbucks by the Brandenberg Gate.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Oh, you might have seen it already, but I did post a trip report on our November Prague Berlin trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:43 AM

We'll be in Berlin just one day and have to choose between time at the Pergamon or the Reichstag. What do you think?

Thanks! Joan
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Alcor, nobody can not choose for you, Pergamon and Reichstag are so different! You can try to see both. I suggest to visit pergamon in the morning and then, go to Reichstag. Here you have to wait at least one hour till you enter. some people recommend to go to the restaurant there so no need to wait in line to enter.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 11:50 AM

The Pergamon Museum is spectacular. If you have to choose, take it and leave the Reichstag.
For some tips, look here:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDet...of_Berlin.html
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 08:35 AM

One place no one has mentioned is the Story of Berlin museum on Ku-damn. It's excellent: there's no glossing over the war years and the exhibits/rooms on the Wall and divided city are particularly good. You can also visit the nuclear bunker below, which is very creepy indeed.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I just checked the Pergamon Museum open times and they are open on Mondays from 10:00am-6:00pm. Phew! I'm going to be there in November on a Monday and plan to see the Pergamon in the morning, go to the Philharmonic 1:00 pm tour after that, and then on to the KaDeWa Dept. store before meeting my tour group that evening.

Is there a restaurant/cafe in the Pergamon where I can grab lunch?
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Don't forget the Third Riech sites.
Berlin Walks gives a good tour & it is inexpensive. And if you are into that kind of history you can also see the Wannsee House, where the final solution was first discussed. Sad but intersting history.