Rembrandtplein morning coffee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying at the Eden Rembrandt in Amsterdam. Since the breakfast there is very expensive, we will opt out of that, but we do like coffee, and I like food first thing in the morning. Can someone suggest a close-by good cafe or bakery for a light breakfast and good coffee? I know I can look around when I get there, but I always like to have a few good places for meals in mind before I go to a city.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:21 AM

A nice coffe-chain is www.coffecompany.com. The nearest of the Rembrandtplein is I think the Kalvertoren-mall (corner Kalverstraat/Munt/Rokin).

A nice breakfast-place is www.debakkerswinkel.nl (Warmoesstraat), but this is not very close to the Rembrandtplein.

I don't do a lot of breakfast in A'dam, since I live in The Hague and mostly arrive there in the afternoon.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:22 AM

The site is; www.coffeecompany.nl
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Rembrandtplein itself is one of Amsterdam's brashest and most popular night spots - in nice weather the cafes on the square are packed with younger folk.

Not much on the square besides cafes

But very close by is a department store with a nice self-service cafe on a top floor overlooking town. Not sure how early it opens but is very popular with dutch and for holland inexpensive.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM

We stayed at the Eden Rembrandt Square Hotel not long ago. We ate very good breakfasts, which included pretty good coffee, at the cafe on the corner of the square right down the street from the hotel.(the name escapes me)By the way we enjoyed our stay at the hotel very much, the location was great and the beds were sooo comfortable.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Vroom and Dreesman (sp/) is the name of the department store
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Vroom en Dreesman (V&D) is right Pal. I think they also have a La Place or tow in Amsterdam, which are also very good, and reasonably priced. However there are loads of cafes around the Rembrandtplein that you should have no trouble finding somewhere to eat. It won't be a tradional Dutch breakfast probably but they will have croissants or similar. Just make sure it's a cafe not a coffeshop - or you caould have a very interesting start to the day!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:02 PM

hetismij - just curious - you live in Holland but where? Amsterdam area - i've been traveling to Amsterdam every year since 1969 - often on business and just love the whole scene, coffeeshops, canals, museums and all - it's my very favorite city in Europe and i love the Dutch folks i meet as well.

I've spent many weeks at the now long-gone Ijs Club camping near Station Zuid-WTC so know the Buitenveldert area quite well.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:06 PM

And La Place i love - inside a modern shopping mall just off a main pedestrian shopping drag and quite close to the Rembrandtplein - this is a food court of great Dutch and foreign food - kind of a buffet and in very pleasant surroundings.

especially good for folks looking for salad and veggie type fare.

LaPlace - check it out
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I wake up hungry, and my husband wakes up wanting coffee, so I wanted to be ready. We will check these places out the afternoon we arrive and be ready for our first morning. Although we have been to Europe 20 times, this our first trip to Amsterdam.