Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Coffee shot/Bagel bakery near Times Square?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of the month, I'll be attending a conference being held at a hotel near Times Square. I'd rather not do the full breakfast as the hotel. What I'd rather have is a good bagel, a glass of OJ (preferably fresh-squeezed) and a coffee. Anyplace near Times Square that would fit the bill?

Also, a good coffee shop/diner rec? I might splurge (calorie-wise, not $$$) for one pancake or French toast with bacon breakfast. I don't mind walking a fair bit for the right place, I'll need to work off those calories anyway.

Thanks!!

Also...thanks to all the NY Fodorites for bringing the High Line walk to my attention. One of the pre-conference activities is a group HL walk...if I hadn't read about it here, I probably wouldn't have signed up for it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 05:51 AM

Which hotel? The "Times Square" area is huge, stretching from the Sheraton on 7th/53rd to the blocks south. Is it the Marriott Marquis?

A very good place to get a cooked breakfast is actually Junior's, which is across the street from the Marriott Marquis on 44th Street. The prices are reasonable for midtown (for breakfast at least), and if you go early or on weekends it's not usually mobbed.

Good bagels are harder, and you will rarely get those plus fresh-squeezed OJ at the same place. But your location really does matter. Fresh bagel shops are fewer and harder to find, but a lot of regular delis get bagels from good suppliers. Cafe Metro is generally a pretty good place; there's on on Broadway around 54th. I also like Hot and Crusty. I think there's one on 8th Avenue south of the Port Authority. Lenny's, a local sandwich chain, also does breakfast, and they may have decent bagels. They do have excellent sandwiches.

Ironically, it's easier to find excellent French pastries and croissants than bagels these days in much of Midtown (the take-out counter of Brasserie Cognac at 55th/Broadway or the uniformly excellent Bouchon Bakery in the Time-Warner Center, for example).

I'm sure there must be some great breakfast places along 9th Avenue in Hell's Kitchen, but I don't eat around here much in the morning, so I'm not sure.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

The event is at the Hilton Times Square. I am staying a few blocks away at another hotel in the area.

I know that Times Square area is not a precise description but I am used to walking a fair distance for coffee, croissants, etc in many cities (and I have lived in NYC at 86th and Broadway).

Since I live in Europe, what I'm looking far are good bagels and a good diner-style American style breakfast (pancakes or French toast, maple syrup, bacon [Boar's Head if I can get it], OJ, etc). I can get real French croissants at home.

Thanks for the Junior's rec. I will check that out.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 07:44 AM

The Edison Cafe should fulfill most of your requirements:
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/cafe-edison/

It is a bit of a schlep but it is one the best bagels around. Ess-A-Bagel

http://www.ess-a-bagel.com/
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 05:49 PM

All the places on the top of this list work.
http://www.menupages.com/restaurants...sort/Rating-1/
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 07:14 AM

Roxy Delicatessen may be a good source for bagels as well.