Breakfast Near Doubletree Times Square

Jun 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Breakfast Near Doubletree Times Square

My D's and I will be staying at the Doubletree Times Square and we'll need to buy breakfast food. The last time we were in NYC we stayed down at the Embassy Suites and didn't find any nearby bakeries or delis; I fear the same thing this trip due to the location. Any suggestions? We prefer bagels or pastries on the go, or food in the room, to a sit down meal. Thanks.
Jun 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Right across from the Embassy Suites downtown is the World Financial building with a Financier bakery that has great pastry. For this trip, there are outlets of:

Sullivan St. Bakery
Amy's Bread
Little Pie Co.
all on 9th or 10th ave.

Cranberry Deli on 45th b/w 6th & Broadway has all kind of take out.
Jun 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Anybody else? Those blocks between 7th and 10th are really long!
Jun 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Well, between 39th and 40th on Sixth Ave. (same block as the Residence Inn) is a hole-in-the-wall place called something like "Croissant Cafe" that makes to-die-for croissants.
Jun 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM

On the same side of the street as DT and down about 2-3 blocks was a nice cafe we had breakfast at each morning. I never remember names of restruants but I am sure the staff can point you to it.
Jun 10th, 2009, 03:09 PM
mp

There is a Europa Cafe, which is a perfectly acceptable take out bagels, muffins pastry coffee place right across the street for the DT Times Square, and there are tons of little delis on any of the side streets between 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue - it's not like the ES downtown, which is kind of a hike to anywhere.

If you decide to be a bit adventurous and walk west toward 10th Avenue along 47th Street, you will come to what many consider the finest bakery in the city - Sullivan Street Bakery.
http://www.sullivanstreetbakery.com/
A bit of a walk, but worth it.
Jun 11th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'll use many of your suggestions - there will be the "grab a bagel on the run" shopping mornings, then the "sleep later and have brunch before the matinee" mornings.
Jul 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Has the Sullivan St. Bakery closed? We walked down 47th street all the way to 11th, and found nothing even resembling where it possibly could have been. We asked people who said they lived in the neighorhood and they hadn't heard of it. We wandered Hell's Kitchen...where are the restaurants? We finally found one chain-looking bakery/pizza place.

We did also find Europa Cafe - it's at 43rd st. and the Doubletree is at 47th, so not exactly right across the street. I'll post if we find somewhere in the vicinity.
Jul 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM

You might also cnsider picking breakfast makings at a deli or sandwich shop and heading for Bryant Park - 6th Ave. and 42 St. - tables, chairs, and a beautiful setting in the midst of surroundingt skyscrapers.
Jul 4th, 2009, 04:34 PM

If you walk up 8th AVe you will find all kinds of places to stop for a quick bite, from delis to pizza and sit down restaurants.

Heading further up 8th around 5oth you will find a Food Emporium which is a large grocery store so you can stock up on food/snacks/sodas/pasteries for your room. I think that is the closest grocery store to you.

Have a great time while you are here.
Jul 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM

At was Sullivan Street a few months back and it was going strong. It is on north side of the street closer to 11th Ave,
Jul 4th, 2009, 07:29 PM

For a longer walk try Ess-a-Bagrl on 51st and Third Ave. One of the best bagels in the city.

Bagels vary in quality in stores that do not make them. To be made correctly they must be boiled before being baked. Just because they are round does not make them a bagel as Dunkin Donuts and many other places will demonstrate. And if they have little pimples on the bottom, it means they were steamed not boiled.

A place like Ess-A will cahnge your opinion about bagels.
Jul 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM

Loads of restaurants on Ninth Avenue.