berlin-location,location, location

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need a hotel right in the center of Berlin. Want to be near historic sights as well as shopping but in a safe area that I can walk around at night.
Also, will only be there 3 days what should I see and do (love doing a little bit of everything, museums, historic sights, shopping, antiques, markets)
thanks for your help
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:32 AM
hsv

Radisson SAS.

steps from Museum Island, walking distance to shopping on Friedrichstr., hackesche hoefe, easy access to Hackescher Markt and Alexanderplatz train stations (either of them 5 min. by foot), bus stop in front of hotl.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:27 AM

I haven't been there yet, but I understand that the Westin Grand Hotel is in a fabulous, central Mitte location.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:31 AM

We enjoyed the Arcotel Velvet on Oranienburgerstr. Public transport at the front door (though taxis weren't expensive for short hauls--ask for the 3 euro Kurtzstrecke fare if you're going under 2 kms.) Nice restaurants all around.

Easy walk to the Museum Island (though not as close as the Radisson SAS), Unter den Linden, Hackescher Markt, New Synagogue.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:36 AM

Westin Grand is fabulous - easy walk to shops & some sights. Good transport links - highly reccomended
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:39 AM

Another vote for the Westin Grand. If you can, try to get a room rate that includes breakfast. It is a really excellent spread, but very over priced (30EUR each) if not included.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 08:45 AM
hsv

The Radisson is newer (2 - 3 years old) than the Westin which was actually built during GDR days.
If rates are similar, I'd opt for the Radisson.
The Arcotel looks nice, too.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:22 PM

There are two city centers in Gerlin. Mitte, which is in the former Eastern part, has been restored to its former glory. It is there that you will find the Dom, the major museums, the Berlin branch of the french Gallerie Lafayette department store, Potsdammer Platz and the new central train station, the Reichstag(parliment building) and the Embassies.

The other is in the former west, Charlottenburg, where you will find wonderful shopping, the Gedenkniskirche, the famous KDW (Kaufhaus des Westens) department store with its gourmet level.

You can easily take the very efficient public transportation from one area to the other.

In Mitte, there are all the major American hotel chains, as well as the Adlon, which was a famous Berlin hotel, bombed during the war, and rebuilt after the wall came down. It is expensive, but you can sometimes get good deals, (it is a five star). At least treat yourself to a drink at the bar there.