Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kuala Lumpur Hotels.... best based on location, location?

Mar 27th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Everyone talks about the room, amenities, etc. but which hotel is best for touring Kuala Lumpur, as well as easy access to restaurants and nightlife if you are using public transportation or wish to walk when possible. We are looking at Mandarin Oriental, Shangi-La, Westin, Le Meridien, Regent but location, location is most important to us since we spend little time in our hotel.
Mar 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM

We stayed in a 3 bedroom suit at the legend hotel, which was centrally located. The hotel had just been renovated so everything was brand new.

The hotel is attached to a 3 story shopping mall which is fun to walk around, and maybe do some shopping. Would definitely stay there again
Mar 28th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Kuala Lumpur is not a great walking town. Even in areas with many shopping malls (which seems to be everywhere) there are often not good sidewalks. The public transportation is not well coordinated, so the various types don't hook up well with each other. Taxis are cheap, and are probably what you will use most of the time. So as long as you are staying in town, you'll find things are fairly conveniently located.

I recently stayed at the Ritz Carlton which is located in the "Golden Triangle" and includes the nearby places like the JW Marriott, the Westin, etc. You are just off Bintan Walk, which is one of the few walking areas of the city.
Mar 28th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Looks like you misunderstood what I said. The mall is fun to walk around not kuala Lumpur.
Mar 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM

Carl, I understood your post, but the original poster wanted hotels close to sightseeing and shopping where he/she could walk or take public transport. It sounds like you may agree with me that (other than walking around malls) KL isn't really a walking town.
Mar 28th, 2005, 03:59 PM

Absolutely!
Mar 28th, 2005, 04:08 PM

I've just checked out the Legend's website, and it looks a lot older than it was 9 years ago.

When we stayed there, it was a 4/3 star hotel, but we stayed there 'cause we were there for a whole month.
The Ritz sounds good to me. It only costs about $100 for a single room at the Ritz!! what a huge bargain!
By the way, Malaysia is one of the cheapest countries in the world.
Mar 28th, 2005, 04:48 PM

I travel to KL every month and have stayed at all the hotels you mentioned. All the hotels (except meridien)you mentioned are near each other and right in the city (called the Golden Triangle) Le meridien and Hilton are the newest but are away from the city centre and in uninteresting surroundings. Of those, MO and Westin are newest.Unless you take the club rooms at Shang, the rooms together with Regent's are oldest and smallest.MO is the most convenient in terms of restaurants, transport, sights.
Mar 28th, 2005, 09:10 PM

The Mandrin Oriental is in a great location AND it's a very nice place to stay. It's adjacent to the Petronis Towers and the KLCC, which consists of a sprawling park and a huge mall.

The rooms on the Executive floor with views of the Petronis Towers are very nice - the service and amenities top notch.

As mentioned above, KL definitely isn't a walking town and the public transport not well linked. Just grab a taxi in the front of your hotel and go from there.
Mar 29th, 2005, 07:01 AM

The Ritz Carlton...hands down. club level. HAppy Travels!