Berlin Hotels - Any Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Berlin from 9/23 ? 9/29 and have yet to make lodging arrangements. I would prefer to stay within the city, but would consider a hotel in the outskirts as long as it is close to mass transit and it is nice.

It is our first time in Germany / Berlin so we hopefully will not be spending too much time in the hotel, rather out sightseeing. We have been thinking that a reasonably priced 4 star ($175 - $150 per night USD) or a nice 3 star would be great.

I would describe us as medium-maintenance, tolerant travelers, but we do not speak German (I?m studying as quick as I can).

Our main hang-up is that we have no reference to quality or location with respect to the lesser expensive options.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brandon King

P.S. You may have seen our previous post ?Any Suggestions for a 5 day German Itinerary?? We have since decided to fly from Copenhagen to Berlin and spend 6 nights there, taking day trips (if we feel up to it). Suggested day-trips include Goslar, Kaiserworth, Hannover or Hamburg.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I got the Westin Grand on Priceline for an economical price. It has a perfect location for seeing the historical center. The lobby is really beautiful and elegant, and there is a free pool, whirlpool, and sauna. We had a twin-bed room, because I was traveling with my son, and the beds were not the most comfortable (although perfectly acceptable). However, if you get a double-bed room, you will get a Westin Heavenly Bed, which is supposed to be terrific (they actually assigned us such a room first by mistake, and I had to go down and get the room changed). Of course Priceline might assign you a different hotel, so if location is important, look into booking the Westin directly.

Across the street from the Westin is the Hotel Unter den Linden, which has fewer stars (I'm not sure how many), but looks fine and obviously has the same great location.

Jolly Hotel Vivaldi would also be very convenient, but I don't know the price or the quality. I think it is considered 4*, though.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Also the Radisson SAS would be very convenient and it's a lovely, new hotel.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:28 PM
hsv

With your budget, there won't be a need to stay outside the citycenter.
I have just checked hotel rates for a trip this week, so I can quote a few.

The Radisson SAS is in a great location, brand new and offers rooms currently at EUR 119.- including breakfast. You will need to spend EUR 10.- for their "GetMore" card to be eligible, but that should be worth it. After your fourth stay at any Radisson SAS, the next one will be free. You might want to check whether this will work out for you in combination with your stay in Copenhagen, where there are a number of Radisson SAS hotels, too.

The brand new Marriott on Potsdamer Platz might be a good alternative, too. Rooms currently start at EUR 139.- exclusive of breakfast.

The Westin, which does appear often on priceline, sells rooms starting at EUR 98.- exclusive of breakfast.

In general, I would suggest that you stay in the district of "Mitte" or on Potsdamer Platz. All properties mentioned qualify for that.

I can remember your other thread and I would strongly recommend you take that trip to Hamburg and skip Hannover, where there really is nothing much to see IMHO and without wanting to offend any Hannover-Lover (of which I am not aware...).
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:38 PM
hsv

Apart from the websites of the hotel companies (which by now often offer a best rate guarantee), you might want to check German company Hotel Reservation Service for an overview at

http://www.hrs.de

The site is available in English language.

The Intercontinental Berlin (in former West Berlin) sells rooms starting at EUR 125.- excluding breakfast, should you desire to stay closer to Kurfuerstendamm in the former West Berlin sector.

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:38 PM

We love the wonderful, smallish (69 rooms) Hecker's Hotel, just off the K'dam, convenient, friendly, and well managed. Last summer we paid 170 € for a deluxe double. The breakfast buffets are extraordinary and upscale. There is a superb restaurant/bistro next door and many others in the neighborhood. Just a block to the underground one way or a block to the S-bahn the other way.

See their website: www.heckers-hotel.com
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Recently stayed at the Movenpick, located about 5 mins from the Potsdamer Platz area (1 stop on the S-Bahn). Very nice 4*, got it for $65 through priceline, very modern (funny sinks and showers), but in an old building so some character, great GREAT breakfast included in the price. Goes for EUR99 at non-peak time according to their website. Good location, close to the Brandenburg gate area (2 stops), Potsdamer Platz like I said, and the Topography of Terror/Checkpoint Charlie areas.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 01:42 PM

...meant to say funKy sinks, not funNy sinks...