Please help with Berlin Hotel...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're having a hard time deciding on either the Westin Grand Berlin or the Hilton Berlin for 5 nights at the end of June, has anybody had any recent experienes to help us with making a decision?? Thanks!
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM
LN

We did not stay at either of these hotels (probably because they were on the high end of the budget). We did, however, stay in the Mitte section of Berlin, and loved it, with a nightly charge of $65 dollars (not Euros) for the Artotel.

We love to travel but cannot, honestly, afford rates such as Westin's or Hilton's or many other high dollar hotels. Instead we prefer to charge out Biddingfortravel.com and then make a bid on Priceline. So far it has allowed us to stay longer periods in countries that are spectacular.
Old May 26th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Both are excellent choices. I guess that Hilton wins slightly in points with its proximity and view on the Gendarmenmarkt, in contrast with the fact that the Westin has some rooms on Friedrichstr, which might be less appealing (view) and theoretically might even mean noise. But don't get me wrong, both are great hotels in the best locations in Berlin.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:15 PM
DAX

In my experience the Westin has bigger rooms and there was no noise issue. As a matter of taste, I prefer the Westin location to the Hilton's. I also prefer the public rooms and restaurant at the Westin. The downside of Westin is old furnishing and somewhat rundown rooms, so as boring as a Hilton room can be, you may find it better. Most people who are happy with the Westin got it through the bidding bargain price, but if you have to pay full price, it may be a bit disappointing. Hope that gives you more info to make your decision.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:26 PM

The rooms on the Westin Grand web site look much better than the bargain-basement one I had (3 years ago). Maybe if you book a high enough room category you would get one of the better rooms, or maybe they have done some renovations in the meantime.

If it matters to you, the pool at the Westin Grand is not much to speak of. I love the lobby of the Westin Grand, though.