Grindelwald apartment near train?

Jun 4th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Grindelwald apartment near train?

Hi, I will be traveling to Grindelwald with my 76 year old mother and will not be renting a car. we would like to find an apartment or Chalet and/or hotel that is in town or convenient to town and the train station. I've read many posts and can't seem to find one. Any recommendations? Also is Grindelwald town itself level? my mother has difficulty with steep inclines.. Would Lauterbrunnen be a better option? If so, any rentals close to the train station other that Chalet Horner which isn't available.

carol
Jun 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Grindelwald town is pretty level along the main longitudinal axis; it goes uphill behind the town and downhill toward the river below town.

Hotel Cabana in Grindelwald has a studio and a larger apartment. It is quite close to the train station, on the road into town. You might ask them exactly how far it is---I couldn't tell from the map. If your mother needs an elevator, you should ask about that as well.

If you want to be as close as possible to the train station, then Hotel Derby would be the one:

http://www.derby-grindelwald.ch/

We haven't stayed there, but it gets very good reviews on Tripadvisor (as does the Cabana). They also list Ferienahuser (vacation houses) on their website, but I didn't check the location of those.
Jun 4th, 2007, 11:16 PM

We stayed in the Minotel last October, on a three nights for price of two deal. It's really close to the station [diagonally opposite], and though the decor was a little faded the balcony and view more than made up for it. We were able to buy cheese, bread, salad and wine [+ chocolate lol] and sit out on the balcony for dinner - it was that warm!
Also, the young couple that owned it were lovely, and the breakfast room had the same view, and a big balcony. The breakfast was very good too!

The main road is quite long and rises up a gentle hill just beyond the hotel, but then levels out for a while before dipping down again.
Jun 6th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions, I will check them out. Any recommendations for Lauterbrunnen?
Jun 6th, 2007, 11:31 PM

I haven't stayed in Lauterbrunnen, so can't recommend accommodation. Though there's accommodation near the station it's a little uphill - I can't remember whether there's a lift. It's a much bigger station - Grindewald is at the end of a small line.