Berlin breakfast?

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin breakfast?

We're looking for a good place for breakfast within walking distance of Checkpoint Charlie (near our hotel). Cafe Adler seems close, those not necessarily a worthwhile choice for breakfast. Cafe Einstein on Unter den Linden appears to be closer to what we're looking for. So does Cafe Alex under the TV tower. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. We want to be close since we'll be coming directly from Tegel after the overnight flight from the states.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:05 PM
ira

Hi N,

>Cafe Einstein on Unter den Linden appears to be closer to what we're looking for.<

Other than just "breakfast" what are you looking for?

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Hi
Most of the hotels offer buffet bkfsts. After flying in you may want to eat at the hotel dining rm at least the first day.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Ira,
We're looking for a typical German breakfast, a reasonable selection of items, and more ambience than we're likely to find at our hotel, which offers a buffet breakfast for 15 Euro. We're staying at a chain hotel (82 Euros, thanks to Priceline). We'd prefer to walk a few minutes for a better overall experience and don't mind doing so despite the overnight flight.
Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:46 AM
ira

Hi N,

The address of your hotel will help us pinpoint the area.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

It's on Schutzenstrasse, just off Friedrichstrasse.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM

We just stayed in a big modern hotel in Munich courtesy of Priceline and even though it was primarily a businessman's hotel, the breakfast was uniquely German and absolutely fantastic. Try your hotel Frühstuck the first day and then look elsewhere if you don't enjoy it.

In 25 years of travelling throughout Germany I never recall seeing an actual breakfast place outside of what you get at a hotel. There are plenty of cafe's and bakeries where you can nosh but I really don't remember seeing a sit-down breakfast joint.

Maybe there's a Denny's in Berlin?

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:28 AM
ira

Hi N,

>...a typical German breakfast, ...<

That would be a roll and coffee - maybe some cheese.

If you want the full buffet - meat, cheese, bread, rolls, pastries, eggs, coffee, juice... - you are more likely to find it at a hotel.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Ira, I think it varies, because many German establishments are known for their huge breakfasts along Dutch or Scandinavian lines.

I did visit Cafe Einstein on Unter den Linden. It's fine for coffee and pastries, but I'm not sure of their other offerings. I was a little surprised by how well-dressed everyone was. It was one of the few locations I felt a smidge out of place, but I wouldn't let that stop you. Presumably the well-dressed people were going to work.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Breakfast does vary considerably. A number of hotels offer buffets. So do quite a few cafes and restaurants. We've identified a number of them in Berlin, but won't be all that energetic upon arrival. Cafe Alex, under the TV tower, for example, offers a substantial breakfast buffet. These kinds of things tend to be more available on weekends, though.
As far as Priceline hotels are concerned, one doesn't always learn whether breakfast is included until arrival. If it is, that will change things, especially since the daily charge is 15 euros per person, quite a bit more than we'd be paying for a roll and coffee at a nearby cafe.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:53 PM

nrwayne, which hotel did you win on Priceline?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:59 PM

If I were you (and I'm not), I'd barely call a typical German breakfast, "breakfast." Think Continental breakfast (roll or two, jam/nutella, coffee/tea, maybe a boiled egg if you're lucky), they did get the name from the continent of Europe. If that's all you want, you'll find plenty of places around wherever you are. If you want a real meal, some of the other suggestions may be useful (depending on your hotel, however, all they may have is the continental). If you decides you want a proper hot, filling breakfast, you may have better luck looking for an English breakfast (once you get past the rather strange custom of baked beans for breakfast, the rest is quite good, if rather fatty), although that's more likely to be found in touristy places.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:06 PM
DAX

A fun & relaxing place for breakfast in Berlin is in the outdoor cafes around a small park called Kathe-Kollwitzer Platz in the Prenzlauerberg area. It's full of locals (young couples & young families). You have to take the U bahn to Senefelder Platz and walk up the Kathe-Kollwitzerplatz. It's worth the effort especially if you're tired of tourist crowds in the Berlin Mitte. The reasonably priced meals vary from light to heavy German breakfast/brunch dishes.

If you're looking for a nationwide chain restaurant, there is one called ALEX. In Berlin it's located inside the Sony Center in Potsdamerplatz which also has a lot of indoor outdoor cafe-restaurants but filled with throngs of tourists.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I suspect that our plans will depend upon how we feel upon arrival, though that rarely is a problem. We'll take a look at our hotel buffet and then think about the options on Unter den Linden or up in Prenzlauer Berg. We don't need a big meal, though something more than the typical roll and coffee would be appreciated. Weather permitting, we probably will head out and enjoy rather than confining ourselves to the hotel while having the privilege of paying up to do so.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

For those interested in Priceline information, please visit www.biddingfortravel.com.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

P.S. We arrived on a snowy Saturday and ended up having the breakfast buffet at our hotel. Beautiful, varied selection. 15 euros per person. Most other days we had breakfast out, but none compared to the buffet. One morning we ordered room service (big mistake) and we were served four coffees (for the two of us) as well as one less than overflowing basket of rolls. The charge for this skimpy offering was also 15 euros per person. Never again. Had the weather been milder, we would have explored other options. On our five day visit, it snowed daily and rarely got above 30 degrees fahrenheit. Even so, we had some great meals, including a superb German dinner at Lutter & Wegner (near the Gendarmenmarkt) and an Italian dinner at Tavola Calda (on Leibnitzstrasse, a few blocks off the Ku'damm). Both were about as good as we have ever had for those types.