Berlin and _______?

May 17th, 2019, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Berlin and _______?

Our two children, ages 23 and 21, will be travelling with two friends to Europe in early August for about 10 days. They have decided to spend the first four or five days in Berlin, which they all really want to see, then take a few hour flight and spend the next five days somewhere in southern Europe, preferably a place with nice beaches, an old, medieval feel and a younger crowd (as we will have been in Calabria and Sicily in June/July, they would rather not go back to Italy).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
May 17th, 2019, 06:50 AM

Non Italian Mediterranean beach resorts with well known night life:
Ibiza city, Ios (airport Santorini), Mykonos, Bodrum, Palma de Mallorca
May 17th, 2019, 08:30 AM

beach resort areas tend not to have a "Medieval feel." I suspect that desire is thinking of certain kinds of Medieval architecture, also, as what was happening in Spain in the Middle Ages is very different from the Netherlands. So not sure what they are even wanting. Medieval Christian Spain was different from Medieval Islamic Spain.

I think you should go to Barcelona or Malaga, both were important cities in the Middle Ages in Spain and both have beaches, and plenty of young people. I think the beaches around Malaga are probably better than Barcelona, but I'm not a beach person at all.
May 17th, 2019, 08:49 AM

EasyJet ...a zillion beach destinations from Berlin
May 18th, 2019, 11:14 AM

Malaga gets my vote too. Or maybe South of France: Cassis and the Calanques. I am sure you sons will like hiking or boating in the Calanques.
May 18th, 2019, 02:34 PM

Surfers? The Biarritz area of southwestern France has some of the biggest tides in Europe- the biggest are on Portugal's west coast - for party places yes Ibiza and Mallorca and Greek spots neckervd mentioned. Greece and Portugal may be cheaper than many countries.

Nice could be nice but super mobbed in August as are all the popular places as France is on vacation pretty much in August