Bergamo to Lake Garda and Beyond

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2017, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soon we will arrive in Bergamo. After a few days there we will collect a rental car for 7-8 days and then drop it off at Verona before travelling back home to Australia.

This is a part of Italy that we have no experience of.

Any advice on where to stay around Lake Garda, Veneto or alternative route would be greatly appreciated.

We like agriturismos and to stay in nice places in the countryside.

We have no fixed budget but usually don't venture above E250 unless there is a real treat there.

As we have a car, we can visit larger towns on Lake Garda, possibly Lake Iseo, maybe venture into Veneto and even go as far north as Bolzano for a visit.

Ideally we would like to identify 2 or 3 places to stay and venture from over 7-8 days.

Thank you for any ideas, thoughts, suggestions and secrets.

Good_Will
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any interest in the Dolomites?

Will the last night (or two) be in Verona?

As for Lake Garda, I prefer the northern end. Malcesine and Limone sul Garda in particular. If you're into memorable drives, consider the Strada della Forra.

http://www.touring-italy.net/tours/t...p?recordid=136

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYAd3TykSCw

If you get to Bolzano, I highly recommend the Iceman exhibits at the South Tyrol Archeology Museum.

Trento and Rovereto are also nice towns to visit. I particularly liked smaller Rovereto.

http://www.italythisway.com/places/rovereto.php
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 09:33 AM

I don't know what month "soon" is in, and autumn is upon us, with the possibility of rainy, chilly weather.

Assuming clement weather, you might consider some of the parks in Lombardia.
We once spent several days with some friends biking around the Park of the Ticino, which has many walking paths and canal paths for biking. The canals are lined with villas that belonged to wealthy families from Milan. Some can be visited. There are some things to see on rainy days, such as the Certosa of Pavia.

We stayed in an agriturismo in the little town of Abbiategrasso, and rented bikes. We biked to different pretty towns or villas or churches every day. The town of Vigevano has a very beautiful piazza. There was an interesting bridge made of boats over the Ticino river, constructed during WWII, and still in use.

Good local food and typical products are easy to find almost anywhere in Italy. In a li

You might be here at the height of the truffle or mushroom season.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jean. After the 7-8 days we will drop off the car in Verona and stay for 2 nights there.

We will visit the towns to the North on Garda as well as Trento, Bassano. etc while we have the car rather than stay in them.

Our real need is to find some interesting places to stay - preferably in the countryside - great agriturismos or hotels - 4 star would be good as we are tiring after a long holiday.

However we would rather stay outside of major towns.

Thank you for your advice.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi bvlenci. Soon is in 3 days
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 12:39 PM

Rather than wait for random answers that may or may not work for you, I would get on booking.com and see what's available. It's still a very popular time of year at Lake Garda, and you'll want to find a property/properties within a reasonable driving distance of your sightseeing plans away from the lake.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

I hate booking.com. After arriving at a Caribbean destination recently we found that our booking through booking.com did not exist, despite full confirmation details. Since then booking.com behavour and competance has been nothing short of disgraceful. I will be writing elsewhere on that subject and with constructive detail to assist others.
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 10:27 PM

Ok, but I suggest you search for availability ASAP.