Search

Weekend trips from Hamburg?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weekend trips from Hamburg?

Hi!

So I'm hoping to go away for my bday weekend in early October. I'll be in Hamburg. What are my options? (I know 2 days is hardly enough for these places, but..beggars cant be choosers and all that!
I have been looking at Prague, Brussles & Bruges, Naples, Athens etc but all of them seem to be quite expensive, if I take the flights.. (except for Belgium..) There seems to be no overnight trains to Prague?

While the idea of eating waffles and walking cobbled streets is not too bad, just wondering if all the nice people here had any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 06:44 PM

Wondering if you had considered anywhere else actually in Germany (Berlin, Munich, or otherwise)? Because that would be obviously easy to get to, but you sound as though you are in Germany for the long haul and if you haven't seen them yet, you will.

Not that Brussels is bad, it's a very nice city. If you can get a room in the European district on the weekend it will be cheaper than during the week. Plus October is a slightly cheaper season to visit and the weather is still pretty good. With 2 days I would spend it completely in Brussels, no side trips. Have a waffle at Dandoy, drink beer (a Kriek? a Gueuze? a Lambic?), eat Moules Mariniere. Do the comic strip walk around the city, visit the Horta Museum, go to the market at Place Flagey on a Sunday morning and eat frites from a frietkot. Take photos of the Grand' Place and the peeing boy. Visit the Musical Instruments Museum in the heritage-protected Old England building and take in the views from the cafe at the top. Or the vintage cars at Autoworld and the military museum in Cinquantenaire park. That would make a (very) full weekend, but if your interests run differently just say so. Most of these things (okay, maybe not the moules and the museums) are the cheaper things in life. If you like architecture, change the walk to an Art Nouveau walk.

Lavandula
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lavandula! (And yes, in Germany for a bit and doing Berlin the week after)

I'd have a very busy few weeks hiking and kayaking in the Julian Alps just before this week, so hoping to keep it relatively easy for the weekend. The architecture comic strip along with the food all sound good!
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 12:00 AM

The city of Schwerin is a picture-perfect combination of natural and architectural beauty.