Belfast and Howth B&Bs

Search

Belfast and Howth B&Bs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belfast and Howth B&Bs

We are mulling over our 5th trip to Ireland, which will start and end in Dublin this time. I am looking for suggestions for B&Bs in the Belfast area and in Howth, outside of Dublin.

I have seen good reviews on TripAdvisor for Marine House in Belfast, and Gleann-na-Smol in Howth.

Has anyone here stayed in either, or have a favorite in these areas?

Thanks for any recommendations!
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:52 AM

Marine house in in South Belfast on a leafy avenue. It is within walking distance of various shops and restaurants in the Lisburn Road and there is a regular bus service into the city centre (about a 20 min walk if you like walking). It would be quiet and very safe. I am just about to suggest it and others to Melissa on another post.

Helen
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Helen! I think I will book it for 2 or 3 nights as our base.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 12:38 AM

The B&B in Howth looks nicee and has a good review from Trip advisor so I would try it.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

I am all set in Howth, but Marine House was booked for my nights.

Has anyone stayed in a B&B in Belfast that they really liked? I have contacted All Seasons, but would love to hear any other suggestions. (I would like to stay under $100 per night.)
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Hi Allison,

All Seasons is on the Lisburn Road. It is a large Victorian House and certainly in a super location but the Lisburn Road is very busy. If you stay there I would ask for a room at the back as there could be a lot of traffic noise.

Click on my name as I have given Melissa some other suggestions on a thread Belfast Hotels (scroll down as the list is near the bottom).

Helen

Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Helen. I don't think the noise will bother us too much since we always seem to be exhausted on our trips to Ireland and sleep well. I did just read your post for Melissa and appreciate all your tips to her as they all benefit me as well.

I did book us for 2 nights at All Seasons, and now I am wondering if three nights would be better. I guess we will know better once we get there, and since it will be the beginning of the week in April, perhaps they won't be too busy.

On another post you mentioned that you didn't care for Ballycastle and found other areas more to your liking. Would you share them? I suspect we will be up in that area since we didn't get to the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge last time, and it seems like a nice area to spend the night.
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Hi Allisonm,

This is a personal preference but I find Ballycastle town (not the surrounding area) rather dismal and old fashioned with lots of greasy diner type restaurants. However, (as I don't like the town) it has been a while since I was there so perhapes it has changed.

Ballintoy is a small village and also convenient for Carrick-a-Rede.

BTW Highly recommend you visit 'Swanstons' which is a small deli/coffee shop opposite the All Seasons and or the Yellow Door (take-away sandwiches) - delicious.

Good restaurant - Shu (European) and Zaffron (Indian)

Wine bar - Event

Pub food - The Kings Head

If you like Tapas - Taps is fun but not as good as they are in Spain!!

I do not recommend either The Chelsea or Tatoo (trendy but awful food IMO).

All of the above are on the Lisburn Road and within walking distance of your B&B.

Helen
Old Jan 29th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Helen, you are a gem! I really appreciate your suggestions. It is always nice to go to a new area having the names of some good restaurants/pubs.
Since it will probably be ages before we ever make it to Spain, I think we may try Taps.

Thanks for the hint on Ballintoy; if we end up staying in that area, we'll try that first over Balleycastle.