Know any B&Bs in Dublin?

Search

Know any B&Bs in Dublin?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Know any B&Bs in Dublin?

We're going to be in Dublin for a few days in October and would like to stay in a nice B&B within walking distance of the downtown. Anyone have any good experiences with that? Thanks very much.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM

You might want to take a look at Abberley House, http://www.abberleyhouse.ie/. It fits your criteria quite nicely and isn't too horribly expensive. I have stayed there a few times and found it comfortable and relaxing. It isn't the Ritz but it certainly isn't Motel 6 either. The beds are comfortable and the welcome is warm and cheerful.

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:25 PM

How did you find that one, Bit? It's well hidden. It's in an old but respectable inner suburb, which can be interesting in its own way.

I don't know the house, but I do know the area. Let's say it's walking distance rather than strolling distance from the city centre -- about two miles; but it is very well served by buses. I would be a bit careful about walking out there at night. The immediate area is fine, but there is a bid of dodgy territory between the city centre and Drumcondra, and you need to know your way around.

The prices look very good for Dublin.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 05:38 PM

It wasn't high end, but I had a decent stay at O'Neil's Victorian Pub/B&B, right near Trinity College, a couple blocks from the O'connell bridge. Be ready for some stairs. It really was a Victorian house, with high ceilings and many levels/landings, but it was nice, and cheap, and close. The street noise traffic never really goes away, so bring earplugs.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:51 AM

O'Neills is a very central location as well Ballsbridge has quite a few B&B's that are a nice walk to town. Northumberland road in the area has a few. Drumcondra is fiine but a bit furthewr out in my neighborhood. Also Clontarf is a bus ride to town but lovely on the sea front.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:27 AM

I will second GreenDragon's recommendation for O'Neill's (if I remember correctly, we stayed about a week after GreenDragon did). Nice, clean, cheap, AWESOME location within walking distance of all the main restaurant/pub areas, but quite noisy. If you go to tripadvisor, you will find a lot of reviews about them.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:56 AM

Padraig,

I chalk it up to being Faery Led and road weary. We had driven in circles throughout Dublin trying to find our original lodgings. We had driven by Abberley twice when my friend, who was driving said, "lets stop and ask them if they know where it might be". They were so kind, fixing us a cuppa and having a chat that we asked if they might have an opening. They did,having just had a cancellation, and phoned our hotel for us to let them know that we had found other lodgings.

We walked home after the pub and didn't have any issues. I suppose I might chalk that up to Faeries, as well? Or could it just be that two women in cowboy gear are given wide berth? I would definitely agree that it is a walk and not a stroll for most, though for me, anything under 3 miles is a stroll!

I really enjoyed our first stay and have stayed there whenever I go to Dublin, which I will admit isn't often as I am not one for big cities.

Slan Go Foill,

Bit
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:26 AM

I would still pick O'Neills for the location as well as Ballsbridge. I live in the general area of the B&B and nothing wrong with it I just like a good location and a more up to date accommodation. Just a personal preference.

Oh and the pub is nice with pretty decent food. I am here with friends after work some Fridays.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM

We should have tried to hook up with you for a pint when we were in town

slainte!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:10 AM

SiobhanP-
Too bad we are leaving on a Friday morning would have been great to share a pint!
I remember in '05 when you warned me about Avalon House as well as your other great advice here!
Originally we were booked into O'Niells this trip but as we would not be able to enjoy breakfast any of the days, nor be in the room but a few hours each night I found a great deal at the Paramount in Temple Bar that was just unbeatable.
Although tripadvisor is pretty favorable and noise is a non-issue- what are your thoughts? Do I gotta warn DH about anything???

kikilouise- here's the link to O'Niells
http://www.oneillsdublin.com/

Thanks
Dawn
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Dawn, I have often walked past here but never went in the hotel. It looks lovely. It can get lively at the weekends but harmless. There is a nice reasonable italian restaurant on Parliament street called Ciao Bella Roma and is reasonable in Price see a review here http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/...y124699628.asp

Also Diagonal across the road is the porter house which is a microbrewery and fun in the evenings. Music on different nights of the week.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 10:54 PM

SiobahnP-
Thanx- I have made note of both places as well as a place around the corner called Eliza Blues that someone on trip advisor mentioned.

Whew! Sounds like I don't have to worry!

Dawn