Guest House-B&B Dublin Area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are beginning to plan a trip set for April of next year. We will be in Dublin for 6 nights. Won't have a rental car. Any suggestions for a place for 2 adults sharing a twin room? We prefer more quiet areas so don't need to be right in the center of town as long as there is public transportation close by...We've looked online at some places in the "Ballsbridge" area that look nice, but someone more familiar with the area might have other suggestions? We'd also appreciate finding a place that is in the $150-175 per night range if at all possible. Many thanks for your help.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:20 AM

hi, i live in dublin ... ballsbridge is very nice, a beautiful leafy suburb with some wonderfully grand old victorian homes, can't go wrong there. plenty of public transport to/from the city. For something special, Butlers Town House has a good reputation, at about 95 euro per person per night.
Sandycove, Sandymount also nice alternatives to staying in the thick of it. Dalkey is fab ! A bit further out though, 20 minutes by DART (train). You're on the right track though, Dublin city while charming is busy and often dirty, southside accommodation offers a more gentrified alternative.
Avoid using a rental car in dublin - traffic is a nightmare, parking costly.
When my inlaws come over from Donegal to stay they use a nice B&B between Ranelagh and Rathmines called Belgrave Guest House, opposite a lovely park, is about 60euro per person per night. some rooms are very small though so you must be specific about having a more spacious room. It's only a 3star B&B, but is in a quiet location, still close to the city, plenty of transport, and considering how accommodation prices have soared in Dublin recently we think it's good value.
hope that helps.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:04 AM

Leisa, 60pp is pretty high for Dublin (I live here too) You could stay in Jury's in town for a tily bit less.

Ballsbridge is nice and there are several towns on the dart line you can stay in but beware you will only be able to get in with trains and busses. Weekend Dart Schedules are more erratic. Ballsbridge is a handy area for the bus or a longer walk to town.

Also Try the Mespil hotel located in a residential area in Ballsbridge or try laterooms.com for rates on the Hibernian Hotel in Ballsbridge and the Schoolhouse hotel.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:09 AM
eri

Try Glenogra Guest House in Ballsbridge. We stayed there twice and loved it. If I am not mistaken we paid less than 100 Euros for 2 persons. It is a very elegant place, has parking, a bus to the city in front of the house and extemely nice owners. It also got high ratings (4 diamonds). This is their site: http://www.glenogra.com/
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Glad to hear Glenogra is nice because that's where I am going to be staying for a week in September!
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 07:22 AM

Jond, we are also planning to book at Glenogra for May next year. Can you let us know what you think when you get back. Thanks very much.
Lisa
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Yes, I will let you know what I think of it. (I'm sure I'll like it.) Check back here in mid-September and I'll post a review.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 09:43 AM

Well, I am back from my trip to Dublin and happy to report that Glenogra Guesthouse was very nice. The rooms are very attractive, the staff is helpful, and the location is excellent. It's located in Ballsbridge (a very nice part of Dublin), about 30 minutes walk from city centre, and is on several major bus routes (including the Aircoach route to & from the airport), and just a couple of blocks from the Sandymount DART station. Very convenient. My only minor complaints are: The place could be a bit quieter at night (though it's very quiet compared to any hotel in city centre), and we had a minor dispute regarding nightly rates (but this was quickly resolved when I pointed out the problem). Overall I recommend Glenogra wholeheartedly for anyone staying in Dublin.
Old Oct 1st, 2004, 10:18 AM

Here is another option in the Ballsbridge area (I don't recall prices, as we booked a package and got hotel vouchers, but not too expensive as we were young & on a budget!): Aberdeen Lodge. It was very nice, good breakfast included, and the owners, the Halpins, have another property nearby. Aberdeen Lodge is just a few blocks from the Sidney Parade DART station.
Here is a link for more info on this properties and others they own:
http://www.halpinsprivatehotels.com/...odge-hotel.htm
It's been 3 years since I've been there, however - sorry nothing more current.