Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Old Dubliner Guesthouse - Good Choice or Bad Choice for lodging??

Notices

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking into finding a place to stay in Dublin from September 16 through September 21st. I have been trying to research various websites trying to find a guest from 40 euros to 60 euros a night. I tried the Trinity Lodge but they wanted around 90 euros a night. Has anyone stayed at the Old Dubliner Guesthouse?? I am looking for a CLEAN, reasonably priced guesthouse that is close to the city center. Can anyone help me out with a review of this guesthouse that has been there before. HELP! I want my first trip to Ireland to be wonderful and lodging will play a big part.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:11 AM

I've never stayed there - but I will warn you that Amiens St. isn't the nicest area of Dublin if you are going to be wandering around at night. On the otherhand, if you are looking for something close to the centre, Amiens St. is very close.
Someone else might be able to tell you what the guesthouse is like.

-- Viola
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:32 AM
ron

I was going to warn you that lodging is very expensive in Dublin and you should be very cautious about inexpensive accommodation in central Dublin. But then I went to the Old Dubliner website and I see they charge 90 euro per night, so its not really that inexpensive.

When I was in Dublin last year, I stayed in Clontarf to get a nice place in your price range.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Where is Clontarf located? Is it a guesthouse or hotel? What did you like about it? Please let me know.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:26 AM
ron

Clontarf is a suburb of Dublin, north-east of the centre, on Dublin Harbour. It is a nice area, with a thin strip of parkland between Clontarf Road and the shore, constantly used by joggers, dog walkers, families.

There are many B&Bs and small hotels along Clontarf Road. I stayed at Ferry View House, a recommendation from this forum. It may be a bit above your price range, but there are other, cheaper places. There is frequent bus service along Clontarf Road into Dublin, but I always walked to the Clontarf DART station and took the train.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Try Clara House in Rathmines...very lovely and good location. You cant beat it
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:20 AM

I have the same question about the Charles Stewart GH on Parnell Square, just off O'Connell Street. Very reasonable, but not sure of the area. Any comments?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Parnell Square is fine. I dont know the hotel but the area is a square on the north side of river just off O'Connell Street.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:13 AM

Amiens street is a no from me. It can get dicey there ar night trust me. Parnell is getting better but i still do not like it walking at night a little lower down at Jury's would be better and check out some B&B's

Clontarf is a nice suburb on the seafront that is 2-3 stops from the city centre. The is no village centre though but a few small shops and cafes.

90 Euro for Trinity Lodge is an excellent rate for the hotel if it is the one on S Frederick street. How about trinity college as they rent rooms before classes start in Oct. www.tcd.ie/accommodation Its 50-60 per night and very clean