Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Can anyone please recommend a B&B in Kilkenny City?

Can anyone please recommend a B&B in Kilkenny City?

Jul 20th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone please recommend a B&B in Kilkenny City?

I am looking for a B&B in the main town of Kilkenny. Does anyone have any recommendations. I do not want to be to far out of the town as it is easier to walk back to an establishment rather than driving at night. Any help would be great. Thanks a bunch.
Jul 21st, 2005, 12:14 PM

About two weeks ago we stayed at the Celtic House B&B. It was just over the bridge, a short ten minute walk to the Castle and Main Street, Private parking was a plus and breakfast was ok. Quiet location across from a small school. I can Rec. that you take the walking tour out of the tourist office, good history of the town and they can get you into locations that are not open to others. I booked it thru Town and Country homes. Have fun
Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:10 AM

We stayed at Alcantra, Tel. 00 353 56 7761058
http://homepage.eircom.net/~alcantra
hosts Liam and Brigid Holohan
Alcantra is located 1 km from the center (10-15 min walk) in the quiet neighborhood. Brigid gave us the map of Kilkenny, recommended the pub for dinner and highlighted all attractions on the map.

Jul 26th, 2005, 10:23 PM

I recommend Launard House about a 10-15 minute walk to town. Excellent clean rooms and very good breakfast. Comfortable beds, nice decor and mini fridge in some rooms.
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:50 PM

We just booked 3 nights at Dunromin B&B, about 10 minute walk to city center (according to other reviews), on Dublin Road. This B&B received all 5 star reviews on tripadvisor.com. We're staying in September so I'll post a review when we return, but I spoke to the owner on the phone and she sent us a map of city center and it sounds great. They offer a discount if you pay in cash, but prices seemed extremely reasonable regardless.
Jul 29th, 2005, 05:00 PM

travel junkie, I met the owners of Dunromin and they were just the nicest Irish hosts. Super friendly. I thought the B&B needed a bit of an update, but that's just my pickiness. Some of the rooms were oddly configured -- like steps going into the bathroom (sure to stumble my husband in the middle of the night). If you get that room leave the bathroom light on all night!

There is a brand new place that just opened and I have not seen yet. You might want to take a look: http://www.laraghhouse.com/
Jul 31st, 2005, 12:57 PM

We spent one night at the Berkeley House, right in the center of town. Includes free parking and is just across from Kilkenny Castle. Nothing fancy, though our bathroom was very large with tiled floors and walls. It was 35-40 euro per person.
Aug 21st, 2005, 05:23 PM
ksb

See my post on Kilkenny Town in another thread by clicking on my screen name.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:34 AM

Dunromin is a GREAT CHOICE! We stayed there this month, it was wonderful- Val is an awesome hostess.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:07 PM

I loved Dunromin also! We stayed there in early July.

Search this Thread