"Before Sunset"-Anyone going to see it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2004, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the sequel to the Ethan Hawke/Julie Delpy movie "Before Sunrise" from 1995.
I believe they'll be showing Before Sunset on July 2nd here in the US. Anyway, I just have to see it as it's filmed in Paris this time.
They still don't get together permanently but maybe in the next sequel if there is another one?
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 08:10 PM

Yes, I'll be going to the theaters for the first time in a year.

But I find it kind of strange that the trailers, promotions, early reviews, etc all have little to say about the background scenery (i.e Paris); unlike in the original, where Vienna is a huge selling point.

BTW, if someone has watched it at Berlin earlier, please don't spoil it for us. Hate it when people give out endings to movies on websites without warning.
Old Jun 21st, 2004, 11:06 PM
NHC

Not sure when it starts in the States, but I just saw in it Vienna, and I really liked it. There are some scenes of Paris in the movie, although not as much as there was of Vienna in the first movie. I don't think the scenery is as big of a part of the movie. This movie is set in a shorter time period of just a few hours rather than a whole night. One thing is that it is quite short, maybe 75-80 minutes.

Oh, and by the way, don't worry, the ending stated above isn't really correct, I won't say how, so anyone who reads this can still see it without knowing the ending.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Hi - It's in limited release here in new york where i live, and i saw it this weekend. I LOVED it... the scenery was beautiful - a more quotidian, slice-of-life view of paris than touristy sightseeing, if you know what i mean... and i am sure anyone who recalls the first one with favor will love this as well, it was really well done and a bit more mature (less youthful romantic philosophical rambling - often linklater's downfall - and a more sensitive eye towards reality). i hope you like it too!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Definately will see it when i'm recovered, there is a scene that is filmed in Shakespeare & Co. Most reviews like Sunset better than Sunrise.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:39 PM

cigalechanta: "when I'm recovered"??

Don't like the sound of that! Hope whatever it is (no need to explain), you get over it quickly and feel like yourself again very soon.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:47 PM

I saw Before Sunrise when it was out and I really liked it. I am planning to see the sequel too. I hope the characters have the same chemistry that they did in the first. I am always excited about movies shot in Europe, esp. Paris.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:07 PM

Mimi, I hope you recuperate quickly from what's happening with you.

I got my Paris CD (Malcolm McLauren), and it IS quite the collection, isn't it? I took it to work to listen to it for the first time, and about 2 lines into it, I figured I'd better shut the office door! It's wonderful but not your workplace background music!

Forgive my hijacking this thread!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:15 PM

send me your email. I'm at hotmail
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Hi--we saw Before Sunset today and altho we did not see Before Sunrise, this movie was really a lovely story with wonderful scenes of Paris.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

It's playing in limited theatres in the Bay Area. The closest one is just across the street from my office. I have not seen it yet and just read alot of reviews of it over the July 4th weekend. The critics all liked it.
Maybe I should go after work and see it.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:13 PM

I hadn't realized this was set in Paris. Merci, that makes it a must-see.

grandmere, re: <i>I got my Paris CD (Malcolm McLauren), and it IS quite the collection, isn't it? I took it to work to listen to it for the first time, and about 2 lines into it, I figured I'd better shut the office door!</i>

Oui, but it's really only that first song that is shut-the-office-door material. The rest of it, except for the Serge Gainsbourg song, is far more tame. I hope you like it, overall.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Capo, I really like the CD. I played it while hosting my book club last week, and nobody batted an eye, sophisticated femmes d'un certain age that we are!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Merci, grandmere. I'm very glad to hear you like it (and thought you would.)

One of my favorite parts is where McLaren gets Catherine Deneuve to sing on &quot;Paris Paris.&quot; I love the way she says &quot;sing away?...no I can't.&quot; Tr&egrave;s charmant.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Saw Sunset at the Angelica in NYC this past weekend, and really liked it. I was also a big fan of Sunrise. It's filmed in real time, so it's shot in an interesting way. It was fun to see the characters again. Julie Delpy was just great (I've always been a big fan of hers).
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Great CD! The one, in fact, in my car CD player right now. Listened to it on the way to work this morning.

When my first client walked in, I flashed back to the opening song, McLaren's description of grabbing Paris in a very specific way, but I was able to confine myself to a formal handshake.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Read Kiki's Paris and the CD becomes even better. The demimodes riding the metro with their pet white mice. An Aside,
Juliet Greco is the only woman that broke Miles Davis's heart.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:28 AM

Interesting about Greco et Davis...merci, Mimi. I have a great black &amp; white postcard of her posing with a dachshund in front of the church of St-Germain-des-Pres.