Paris, Berlin or Vienna?

Search

Paris, Berlin or Vienna?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris, Berlin or Vienna?

Which city do you regard as the most interesting for a short visit of 5 days? Could you please suggest a couple of activities or guided tours that you found worthwhile in that city?
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:15 PM

all of them..but i think paris and vienna are more exciting and old world while berlin is modern, but exciting in its own way..everything there is post-1945 with a few exceptions...
it depends on your interests....start with one and i guarantee you will visit the other 2 shortly thereafter!!!
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:14 AM

I love Paris. Vienna is also great and there are some nice one day trips you can take...like a boat or down the Danube to Melk, Krem, Durnstein. The Vienna Woods are nice for hiking. You can also bike between above towns. Berlin is very interesting...I really enjoyed Checkpoint Charlie, the Reichstag is interesting to go to the top for a fabulous view. The Pergamon Museum has a great collection.The new Jewish museum opened the day I was there so I didn't get to see it. You can do a day trip to Potsdam.
Old May 6th, 2003, 08:31 AM
ira

Hi Jim,

If you haven't been to Paris yet, I recommend this above Vienna, above Berlin.
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:03 AM

I have not been to Berlin, but both Paris and Vienna are great cities. Both have much to do within walking distance of the city limits. I never took a train or bus in either city and just walked everywhere. 5 days gives you plenty of time and day trips to Giverny and Versailles are really easy from Paris among other great places. In both Vienna and Paris you will find much to keep you busy in the cities themselves. So much culture, history, and beauty in both places. I have been to both twice and I have to say that Paris is my favorite city along with London being a close second! I can say with certainty though, that either of these 2 that you decide to pick, you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy and let us know what you decided and how it went! Happy travels!

Old May 6th, 2003, 09:06 AM

A recent post on this site polled people on their favorite (most beautiful) cities in Europe. Vienna and Prague came out on top.

The only city on your list to which I have been is Paris. I could live in Paris if not for the language barrier. I plan to start studying French in college very soon. I found the Parisian culture to be so refined and civilized. This is why I personally like it,but there are 6 billion people on this earth with 6 billion opinions. I like polling people on this site for their collective perspectives. Some might say this gives the lowest common denominator,but I have found it also usually is pretty much right on target- at least for the first few overseas vacations.

Just one man's view. Europe is so fantastic that you will most likely not go wrong with your choices.And besides, God willing ,there will be time to see more of Europe at a later date. Enjoy. Tim
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:55 AM

A fun question, but tough choice.

I have spent 5 days in both Paris and Vienna and 3 in Berlin, which wasn't nearly enough.

My answer would depend on if you are traveling solo or not. As you can probably gather from this board Paris is a perennial favorite; it is grand, romantic and beautiful. However, Paris was also the only city where I felt lonely not being part of a couple. It is truly a city for lovers. So, if you are traveling alone Vienna would get my vote, especially if you, like me, love history and music. It is another grand, very walkable city, and one that was probably cleanest of all the great cities I've seen. But like with Paris, I'd leave my diet behind and enjoy the Vienna cafes and heurigers.

Berlin is huge and fascinating although because some 80% of it was destroyed during WWII, there isn't much of the old architecture left although it does have some world class art and much else to see. When I was there in 2000 they had not yet erected the Holocaust Memorial near where Hitler's bunker used to be. They probably have it up by now. But to do Berlin justice, you probably need a lot more than the measly 3 days I had there.

Good luck choosing!
Old May 6th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Don't over look Berlin. While it may not have as old a feel to it as Paris or Vienna has, Berlin is vibrant in a way both Paris and Vienna are dead. Berlin breaths possibity and energy. Plus, unlike Paris, people are wonderful and the city is so clean. You could eat off the ground in Berlin, while Paris its covered with Cig buts and Dog poop. Berlin in my #1.
Old May 6th, 2003, 02:01 PM

Jim - I have been to and enjoyed all 3. Paris is magnificent. Vienna is romantic, but Berlin is without a doubt the most interesting and exciting. Yes, it is more "modern" of the 3, but its recent history is what makes it interesting. Remember only a few years ago it was an enclave behind the Iron Curtain, Now it is the capital of a prosperous European country and to see its rebirth to me is awe inspiring. Just a stroll down the Unter den Linden is a thrill as is a visit to Museum Island as is a visit to Potsdam and Frederick the Great's palace- not nearly as magnificent as Versailles, but impressive non-the-less. A visit to the new Reichstag, the Brandenberg Gate, Check Point Charlie, the Topography of Terror, and the new Jewish Museum had much more impact on me than either Paris or Vienna. Either city is worth 5 days, but if it is truly "interesting" you are seeking then it's Berlin hands down.
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your brilliant answers to my question. I guess it relates to the interpretation and significance of "interesting" vs "beautiful". The 5 days will be at the end of a 7-week trip to Europe, but we may be able to see two of the cities and stretch it out to 10 days. Thank you for your help.