Berlin and Vienna

Jun 20th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Berlin and Vienna

No flowery descriptions - just the facts.

THE PLAYERS
Mom: me, planner/tour guide/washer woman/pack mule, recent diagnosis that required retooling A LOT
Dad: husband retiree/limited in miles walked per day, but 100% willing to follow me wherever

THE PLAN
One week in Berlin, one week in Vienna

THE MISTAKES
I bought a little backpack that was inside the personal item limits, but 1) I was almost turned away from one flight, even though it was fine, and 2) that second backpack was a real drag to transport.
I packed for the forecast that I checked the day before we left, but while we were in Berlin, the forecast for Vienna *and* Berlin zoomed from 65 degrees to 90 degrees. Ugh. I was not prepared.
Husband's pre-trip walking app was grossly inflated (it was about half of mine), and he was not up to walking nearly as many miles as he thought.

BERLIN

It was fantastic - what else can you say?

We got the two-room apartment at Wombat's hostel, one stop from Alexanderplatz (they're having labor issues and it's closing at the end of September, but I didn't know that when I made reservations). Just having the kitchenette saved us a fair bit of change, because we shopped at the local grocer and cooked a lot of our meals.

Highlights of places we went: Alexanderplatz, Hauptbahnhof, Reichstag dome tour, Tiergarten, Memorial to Murdered Jews, Schoeneberg Rathaus (JFK Platz), Tiergarten, Charlottenburg, Brandenburger Tor (saw a #FridaysForFuture protest), Museumsinsel, Stolpersteine, and quite a few places we got lost in between but explored and enjoyed anyhow

The (super) good: weather was perfect - ~70 degrees F., low humidity, partly sunny
The less good: a little rain

VIENNA

Very different from Berlin, beautiful, elegant

Highlights of places we went: Climate Conference (outdoor displays), Schoenbrunn, Wienerwald/Vienna Woods (we hiked downhill from Kahlenberg to Nussdorft), Museumsquartier, National History Museum in depth, lots and lots of cafes, Hundertwasserhaus, Prater, Zentralfriedhof (we got lost and ended up walking about 4 miles, but it was all good)

The (super) good: Spanish Riding School, a lifelong dream - I attended a Morgenarbeit and a tour, in addition to a performance (front row center)
The less good: no kitchen in this room, so we spent more on food than we intended...thank goodness for the Aldi (Hofer) just a few doors down; also, this is where the temp zoomed up by 30 degrees which meant that I lost about three days because my stupid body just could not function - but that's OK, we had some "wiggle room" in our schedule

With a little luck, if I did this right, here's a link to the YouTube mini videos from our trip (about ~1-2 minutes each)
Jun 20th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Oops, here's the YouTube link, I think - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_6..._as=subscriber
Jun 22nd, 2019, 09:54 AM

Thank you, Kandace_York. I enjoyed your report and library of videos very much. I've been to Berlin four or five times over many years (before and after the Wall came down) and each time the city made a huge impression. I particularly thank you for the Shadows of Tragedy, and the Berlin Wall and East Side Gallery videos. How very powerful the Stumbling Stones are plus I can recall almost every step taken when I visited the Topography of Terror because of how the place made me feel, emotionally.

Not yet visited Vienna but it is on the list!
Jun 22nd, 2019, 03:14 PM

Hi, I am working my way through your very useful and atmospheric videos. Very nice indeed!

Lavandula