Reload this Page >

Bed and Breakfasts in Great Britain

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:33 PM
beth

We are wanting to go to Ireland, England, Scotland and Northern Ireland this summer and were looking for suggestions for Bed and Breakfast Inns, things to do, wonderful pubs and anything else that you may have enjoyed while there.<BR>Thanks<BR>Beth

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Leslie

Beth, before you get flamed, could you narrow your request down a bit, and provide the towns that you will either want to stay at or sightsee in. I'm only suggesting this prior to someone telling you that you should have done a search first and then returned with your questions. You need to narrow your scope a bit for us to be of some help.

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:04 PM
jw

I have to repeat myself and recommend Fern Cottage in Monkton Farleigh -- the best B & B I've ever stayed in; perfect for visiting places from Lyme Regis in the south to the Cotswolds to Lorna Doone country in the west. Somewhere in this forum I noted the website, but you could do a search. Anyway, we stayed there seven nights and could have stayed seven more w/o running out of places to visit. It's just a speck north(?) of Bradford on Avon and Bath. J.

Old May 19th, 2002, 03:05 PM
jw

p.s. A really nice country pub just around the corner.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:13 PM
janis

beth: Leslie did you a big favor. Many people would have been very rude in response to your question.<BR><BR>But you questions is like someone on the USA board asking "we are going to California, Arizona, Oregon and Colorado and want ideas of hotels and things to see. Absoulutely impossible to answer.<BR><BR>Give us at MINIMUM <BR> <BR>1) WHY are you going (castles, gardens, geneology or ????) <BR>2) how long, <BR>3) how many and ages <BR>4) where you are flying in to and out of<BR>5) do you plan on driving or taking public transit

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Beth

Sorry all- didn't mean to sound too broad but the thing is - we haven't decided on anything just the countries and we're just beginning to look for ideas in books - and on this forum.<BR>Any ideas would be appreciated<BR>

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:32 PM
tom

Now that answer REALLY cleared things up???<BR><BR>Leslie and Janice tried to explain the facts of life but you seem to be too thick to take the advice. Do some research first and then ask some intelligent questions

Old May 19th, 2002, 08:27 PM
elvira

A 17-day packaged tour has this itinerary:<BR>London, Stonehenge, Bath, Cotswolds, Wales, Waterford Ireland, Blarney Castle, County Kerry, Ring of Kerry Limerick, Dublin, Liverpool, Lake District, Edinburgh, York, London. You'll need another 4-5 days to see Northern Ireland (Belfast, the glens, north coast). You're up to 21 days. If that itinerary looks ok, then you can get better suggestions for places to stay, etc.<BR><BR>Get crackin' if you're going this summer; accommodations fill up fast during the high tourist season.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:01 PM
good

My favorite bed and breakfast is just north of London. You can't miss it. It just off the main road to the right of where the original fire station was in 1594.

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:13 AM
xxx

Tom - you're quite rude. Janice and Leslie's advice was not taken because she did not know. There is no point in you being rude to the poor person who is just beginning to plan her trip. Think about what you write.

Old May 20th, 2002, 08:42 AM
anotherxxx

And she didn't know because she is too darn timid (lazy?) to do ANY research on her own or give us ANY ideas of what she has in mind. Any recs we might offer her will be totally useless unless she provides a least some the basic answers.<BR><BR>beth, honey -- England, Scotland, N Ireland and Wales is a huge area. It doesn't look like it on a map but trust me on this one. If someone recommends Monkton Farleigh (as some poor soul did) and another some great village in NW Scotland and another a great pub in Northern Ireland and yet another a nice B&B in Kent -- what good has it done you? These are hundreds of miles apart - which equals thousands of miles in the US.<BR><BR>Why do you think you haven't gotten any useful answers yet -- because it is impossible.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Nancy

Of course, I don't know where in England you might be going but I really liked these 2 places in particular.<BR>Cotswold - #9 Park St., Stow-on-the-Wold (46 lbs/night). Great location and easy parking for the night after 6:00 pm. Very clean, nice hosts, lobby where I could sit and read. They placed a small decanter of Sherry in the room. Very short walk to main part of town. <BR>Salisbury - Newton?s Farmhouse, Whiteparish on the way out of town (about 8 miles) and that turned out great. Had a little rear cottage room, ground level, parked right in front. We went to a restaurant/pub in Whiteparish which was excellent but I forgot to write down the name; however, it was the only one we saw. Getting into Salisbury was a breeze.<BR>I have a trip report if you're interested. Please e-mail me directly.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Leslie

I see that Beth isn't getting much help here, so let's try to give her some assistance, although we have little to work with.<BR><BR>To start with, here's a website that lists many B&Bs in the UK: www.tuckedup.com<BR><BR>On another note, I suggest you hop on the net and look up the addresses for the different tourist authorities, so that you can get yourself some maps and brochures. Most of them are located in NYC, and for a start I will suggest the British Tourist Authority. When you speak to a CSR, make a request for every brochure and map.<BR><BR>Also, although you aren't giving us much to go on, you must know a few things that can help us: how many people are in your group, how long you will be away, what your budget is per night for lodging, and if you will rent a car or not. Also, you should have a good idea of which city you will fly into, and whether or not you will buy a roundtrip ticket or an open jaw ticket. Also, could you give us some ideas of what your interests are other than the countryside. Beth, we truly want to help you, but we need something to work with, so you have to help us out too. The other suggestion is to actually do a search on this site, just type in a city or town, and read the responses to the threads.