Help me plan a trip to SW England

Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Help me plan a trip to SW England

I am planning a ten day trip to SW England in early June and need some tips on how to get started. I usually buy a Karen Brown guide and go from there. Any other suggestions? Routes?

I will have a car.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:00 PM
rex

If by "buy a Karen Brown guide", you mean that you use her collection of propoerties as a framework for where to stay, (and thus where to travel, overall) - - then you can get that same information (more or less) on her web site.

Best wishes,

Rex
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:36 PM

Hotticket is clearly asking for other suggestions independent of what the Karen Brown guides can offer so let's see what we can do....! No point in refering the OP back to something they are familiar with.
Hotticket, what do you want to see in South West England, the usual suspects, Glastonbury, Stonehenge, Wells, Avebury, Tintagel, the National Parks at Exmoor and Dartmoor, the Cornish Coastline? If you want an idea of routes that would avoid the boredom of the M5 then give an update on the places you are keen on visiting.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM
rex

I understand that and regret that I cannot contribute more than this... just wanted to share the info that in general, the Karen Brown web site generously shares, for free, most of what it sells in printed form.

In case hotticket (or others) didn't know that...
Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM

You have given us the length - 10 days. but we need more info from you before we can give much useful info.

By SW where do you mean? (or do you want advice re that?) Cornwall? N Devon? S Devon? Dorset? Somerset? Hampshire? It is a very large area so do you have any idea where you want to go?

And what sorts of things do you enjoy/why have you chosen the SW? Gardens, coastal hikes, moors, castles, Cathedrals -- all of the above?
Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:19 AM

As janis says, SW England is actually quite a large area to cover. Do let us know a little morr of what you are interested in - gardens, country houses/stately homes, ruined castles, rocky coastlines, sandy beaches, cathedrals and churches, towns, villages, King Arthur, off the beaten track or the usual tourist sights. One example - so many people want to see Stonehenge, but IMHO it bears no comparison at all with the much more impressive yet totally unspoilt Avebury just a few miles north. There you have no restrictions whatsoever and no huge tourist influx, just a few people wandering among the huge stones with the sheep grazing alongside.

Once you have a little more of a plan of what you want to see please come back and we will be able to help you more.

PS I live in the south Cotswolds, which is sometimes considered south west England and sometimes south west Midlands. I don't know if the Cotswolds figure in your idea of SW England.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:53 AM

Hi. We stayed seven nights at Fern Cottage in Monkton Farleigh, just between Bradford-on-Avon and Bath. We explored the southern Cotswolds, Wells, Glastonbury, Salisbury, Stonehenge, Avebury, and down to Lyme Regis in the south and over to Exmoor, too. Great location for houses, gardens, etc. You could maybe do five nights in that area and five toward the tip of Cornwall? Just getting things started; you'll receive lots of suggestions here. J.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:02 AM

Dear hotticket
I must say i'm biased but I think a very overlooked touring area of southwest england and to my mind the most beautiful is the South Hams area of south devon. It has a microclimate all its own which is warmer than most sw areas and is just chock full of beautiful coastal paths , interesting national trust houses quaint B&B's and Inns and some of the best sea food in the region. The windy country lanes are full of flowers in june and the people warm and friendly. It isnt as frequented by non UK tourists so is quite a hidden gem. If you want more info please dont hesitate to e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll give you some tips and ideas of where to visit eat and stay.
I assure you it is well worth the trip.
Wherever you end up I hope you have a great time.
regards CM
Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:31 PM

Just reading this thread made me drool, but I, like the others don't want to suggest until we hear what you like. I see one question they didn't ask is: are you a Daphne duMaurier fan?
Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:53 PM

If you can find a copy of H. V. Morton's "In Search of England" that would get you started. After reading it I had a great wish to visit Roseland and St. Just.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I am a Daphne Du Maurier fan,hopingtotravel and countrymouse, I will contact you. I am very interested
in Devon. In fact, that is what inspired this trip. I met a couple in Prague who were from Devon and really encouraged me to visit "the most beautiful section of Britain".

Sorry to be so vague. I know how difficult that can be. Here are some specifics of what I am interested in: gardens, National Trust homes, cathedrals seacoasts of any kind, a bit of Arthur, too. I have visited and loved the Cotswalds so I am not including them in this trip. I do want to visit Bath. I am so-so on Stonehenge.

Oh, does anyone know the name of the estate that was owned by Fred Astaire's sister and her husband? I think it is now a hotel and I am pretty sure it is in that part of England.

Thanks in advance.
Hotticket
Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:48 PM

Well curiosity got the better of me so I decided to look it up. It's Lismore Castle in County Waterford, Republic of Ireland and as Adele Astaire married into the Duke of Devonshire's family then the ancestral home is Chatsworth House in Derbyshire, which is still open to the public.
I was also happy to learn that Edmund Spenser wrote most of the "Fairie Queen" at Lismore.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:11 PM

First, (because it's shortest). Underhill, if you haven't seen Roseland and St. Just, it is beautiful, quaint and doesn't take much time.
Second, OP, if you're a duMaurier fan, Fowey is a wonderful little village not far from Ferryside where she spent her childhood. There are (at least were)some bookstores/museums in her honor. In May (presumably still) a festival in her name. Also, you're a short drive from the house which inspired Manderley in Rebecca.
Coming down the main highway into Cornwall, Jamaica Inn is off a short exit. There is a room there with her writing desk, pictures, etc. It's usually windy on the moor and the inn sign is probably creaking and swinging.
We did not make it to Falmouth and whatever creek is the prototype for Frenchman's Creek--maybe next time. You will discover endless riches, history and places to go in Cornwall.
One thing I wish I had studied before I went: all the 'tre' and 'pen' words, etc and what they meant. The language is very old.
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:09 PM

We holidayed in The Roseland peninsula in 1983 when our daughter was 1, this was a first for us since we usually holidayed further south (St Ives, Penzance) It was a lovely area and I remember a pub called Pandora’s Inn which was wonderful, the birdlife (mainly sparrows) was so friendly and were sitting on the end of the table as we ate. This led me to this website:

http://www.cornwalltoday.co.uk/Places/Pubs.aspx,
visiting a pub is a wonderful way to meet the locals.

My favorite places? St Ives, Porthcurno, Mevagissey, Tintagel, Fowey, Padstow, Hayle Towans to Godrevy Point, Kynance Cove, Mousehole – this list isn’t in any particular order, although I have to say that a trip on the King Harry Ferry was always a treat.

Have a wonderful vacation