Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lavenham/Suffolk area or Cotswolds or Both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to be in England for 5 days in April. WE are going to spend the final 3 days in London, but want to go outside for the first. We will be arriving from Rome on the first day and plan to drive to the Suffolk area and possibly stay around Lavenham as well as visiting Thetford, which is where my husband was born. Is it crazy to try to make it to Thetford and stay in Lavenham and drive over to the Cotswolds for the second day with return to london on the third? WE are flying in to London Stanstead airport and picking up a car there before noon.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:26 PM

As someone who is Suffolk born and bred I am delighted you are visiting this beautiful but neglected (by tourists) part of England. Thetford is in Norfolk so I will keep tight-lipped about that place!! My opinion - yes, forget the Cotswolds this trip. Too much driving, too little time in the Cotswolds, and there's so much to do in the Suffolk area that you could easily fill your time there.
Lavenham - Thetford is a drive in itself - there are no Motorways in Suffolk and the route isn't a fast one. Let me know if you need more Suffolk help.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:17 PM

I wasn't born in Suffolk - but just so you don't think Morgana is biased - DEFINITELY skip the Cotswolds this trip.

2 days isn't really enough time to explore either area w/o rushing, and by trying to squeeze in both you wouldn't have one full in each. You would spend more time in the car than actually seeing things.

So just enjoy Suffolk/Norfolk, get a taste of the area and maybe come back for more on another trip. Or next time spend a few days in the Cotswolds instead.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! We will definately be back to England and hopefully have more time. this is my second trip, but I was only 15 for the first one....different priorities! We will skip the Cotswolds this trip-I thought it might be too much! Sorry for the mistake on geography with thetford. I would appreciate some lodging help though. I was thinking of staying in Lavenham, but do you have other suggestions? WE will only daytrip to Thetford (if possible) as my husband was born there and he just wants to make a short visit. (he is an Air Force baby-Dad was stationed at the base in Lakenheath) My mother-in-law just raves about how wonderful it was to live there! Any suggestions are appreciated as I haven't a lot of time to read up on things! Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Gree65

Plan your driving route from Lavenham, Suffolk to Thetford, Norfolk using either www.viamichelin.com or www.theaa.com - You have received excellent advice from Morgana and janis who often knows more about England then those of us who were born there. I do agree to allow sufficient time for the drive as the roads are slow but easily done as a day trip. Lavenham and Thetford are about 25 miles apart. Be aware of the speed cameras. My husband got a ticket on our last trip in October and it was quite expensive.

Take a look at www.visiteastofengland for a lot of information that you will find helpful. You could easily spend the entire 5 days in this area.

Can't help with where to stay but lots of B&B's on www.smoothhound.co.uk

Sandy
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm so disheartened that you've decided to go to Suffolk. If more visitors do as you do, the truth will come out and that will be that. Please do <i>not</i> post a trip report or remark on what a glorious, uncrowded, and friendly part of England it is. And by no means should you mention that the weather in spring is often nicer than in the west. Don't talk about Kersey or Long Melford or the local beers and pubs either. Thanks.

And Morgana... hush.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:51 PM

Ah, but it's only classy Fodor tourists visiting Suffolk, so that's alright!
Gree -happy to write more about Suffolk but won't be until Monday as I am off on a romantic winter weekend with my husband (4 poster bed, blazing log fires, NO KIDS etc), but just to get you started, Lavenham is a great base and although very rural is not far from places you may wish to visit. www.theswanatlavenham.co.uk will give you a taste!
More later.........
M
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the information! We are really excited about the trip! We are looking at two places to stay the Lavenham Priory or the Northgate House in Bury St. Edmunds. Does anyone have a preference? Thank again!
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 10:07 AM

In October I spent the better part of two weeks in Norfolk/Suffolk area. English friends drove me a total of 170 miles in one (long) day! Basically we started driving in in a small circle early in the morning and gradually expanded it, arriving back in Gorleston-On-Sea well after dark.

Friendly, friendly people, beautiful little towns and villages (Clare is a jewel) and lots to see.

The Cotswolds are lovely, too, but I agree that Suffolk and Norfolk are under appreciated.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Gree65
I haven't stayed at the places you mentioned, but many years ago stayed at the Swan Inn in Lavenham. Maybe check it out, too.

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into it annabelle2!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 10:53 PM

Hi
More info as promised.
I can't comment on the 2 places you have mentioned (Priory/Northgate House) in terms of what they are actually lie to stay there, but I can comment on location.
Bury St Edmunds is my home town, therefore I know the area in which you would be staying within the town and it's perfect for sightseeing, very central. Bury has an old abbey (ruinous), lovely gardens, nice old streets, plenty of shops etc. Also some nice restaurants. It is a short trip from Bury to Thetford or Lavenham and makes an ideal base.
Lavenham is more 'picture postcard' and a delightful place, but is a village and pretty small. It has plenty of restaurants/pubs etc. The Priory looks very nice, and I have already told you about The Swan (as did Annabelle).
Personally - well, I would stay in Bury and do day trips out to the places you wish to see. You could do a lovely circuit taking in Lavenham and some of the other sites in that area.
Trying to put this tactfully - Thetford isn't high on the tourist trail although I appreciate your reasons for visiting, but there's plenty of other things to see/do out that way.
Let us know what you decide, and I can help you with nice pubs/restaurants as I am sure to have been to them! Plus you are in Green King country if you like good beer. You can practically see the brewery from Northgate Street!
Also if you let me know the sort of things you like to see (stately homes? gardens? churches? etc etc) then I can guide you more as to what not to miss. For instance Long Melford, a short distance from Lavenham, is packed with antiques shops if that's something that appeals.
M
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:23 AM

And while around Lavenham, please don't go near Long Melford, Finchingfield, Sudbury, Ely, Sible Hedingham, Haunted Borley, and 'The Nutshell' in Bury St Edmunds. You'll never want to leave otherwise. But en route to Ely it'll be OK to drop into Cambridge - the tourists already know about that one!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

My reply is showing up when I try to reply again,but not when I just double click the link....I'm not sure what's going on. Anyway, I'll rewrite what I wrote the first time, if it turns up, sorry!

We are going to stay at the Northgate House in Bury St. Edmunds because as you pointed out morgana, it's in the middle of everything. We really like to just get the feel of a place when we visit. I guess I'd like suggestions for maybe two really amazing gardens, a couple of great shops (can be anything, just places you would take guests-I love to cook and eat! and like jewelery, and books and strangely folk music)one or two churches that stand out to you and some great pubs. The brewery sounds like it's right up our alley, as we love great beer as much as great wine!

We were thinking of possibly stopping in thetford on the way, before we get to the B&amp;B and possibly stopping in one other town/village. We thought we'd save Lavenham and other until the next day and following morning. What other towns/villages would you suggest we really try and see? Twoflower had a good list...any favorites among those? By the way, thanks to all for the websites and suggestions thus far, I'm really excited to get there!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:46 PM

I know you've decided not to go to the Cotswolds, but I thought I'd throw in my last pitch. I visited Bath and the Cotswolds last January and it was a delight! We stayed at the Holly Villa B&amp;B in Bath; absolutely charming, very reasonably priced, hosts were very nice, and the guests were mostly Londoners out for the weekend. We took the coach directly from Heathrow out to Bath; it's such a nice place to spend your first night: quiet, but not in the middle of nowhere. So we went to a local pub for dinner and a brew, took a short walk by the canal, and then went to bed. Walking Bath is such a delight, especially if you join up with one of the free walking tours that start near the cathedral.

Then if you want small and bucolic, the Cotswolds can't be beat. Chipping Camden and Stow on the Wold were fun to walk around in. The countryside is beautiful. And the local beer is excellent!

If you decide to go, please skip Stratford-on-Avon. It's such a waste of time, even for a Shakespeare-phile like myself.

Have fun!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:39 PM

It will be nice to see the contrast from the timber framed towns such as Lavenham and Suffolk countryside, to the limestone clad villages of the Cotswolds. Each village has that warm mellow honey coloured look to it.
Stratford is north of the Cotswold region so looks completely different. However no fan of this great writer should miss out on a visit to his birthplace or grave. All in all it isn't a bad place but not as charming as Chipping Campden, Burford or Broadway.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Hi again
Will write in more detail in a day or two as I'm off on my travels again (this time work related) and won't have access to a PC.
A couple more ideas to float though before I go. Northgate House is VERY close to Bury Rail station. Cambridge is 45 minutes away by train (and also roughly the same by car, although I find it a difficult place to drive about in - all those cyclists!). So if Cambridge appeals to you, you could perhaps manage a short trip there?
Also have a quick look at the National Trust website - www.nationaltrust.org.uk and search under East of England. Ickworth House is a couple of miles outside Bury, Melford Hall is in Long Melford - both have lovely (maybe not amazing?) gardens, but wonderful houses.
I think you will find the cottage gardens the loveliest of all in the villages you visit.
M
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks morgana. I will look at the site after work today! Have a great trip!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:43 AM

Hi Morgana,I would love your help on nice restaurants and pubs in the area.My husband and I plan to spend several days in Suffolk in May. He has enjoyed Ruddles beer so plans to try all the others! The Swan looks great for a start. But we plan to travel around over a few days. Thanks. And we wont tell anyone if Sufflok is better than the Cotswolds! Keep it to the Fodorites!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 02:10 AM

Happy to try and help Huddoshols.
Actually the Cotswolds just don't 'do it' for me, never have done. I find all that chocolate box/tearoom/gift shop stuff a little too forced. Give me Suffolk any day, although of course I am biased!
A couple of interesting beer websites - www.greeneking.co.uk and www.adnams.co.uk
Adnams is brewed on the Suffolk coast at Southwold, and is pure nectar. Greene King produce some wonderful beers too. I love Abbot Ale but beware the sledgehammer effect of drinking it too fast on a hot summers day!
Do you have an itinerary? If so I can make more specific suggestions of restaurants/pubs. Suffolk is a pretty big county, and if you have time I would recommend some of the little coastal villages (Southwold/Aldeborough etc) as well as going to West Suffolk where the pretty villages tend to be. Also on the Suffolk/North Essex border you have Flatford Mill, Dedham etc - known as Constable Country and well worth a visit.
Also can I recommend the Hardens restaurant guide? It can be accessed on www.waitrose.co.uk, and then search for Hardens and UK Restaurant Guide. You search by town/city and I find it utterly reliable.
M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -