Bed & Breakfast Suggestions in Lisdoonvarna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in this area in late September. I was curious to know what people think of Lisdoonverna in general. Moreover, if I could get some B&B recommendations.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 11:02 AM

Okay, I give up. Where is it?
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

It's in Ireland. Sorry this is my first time posting here. I may be in the wrong area
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM

no, I was just admitting my ignorance.

This is the Europe message board, there is no separate area for Ireland.
Welcome.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:24 PM

jshirema: I've stayed in Lisdoonvarna twice. The 1st time I stayed at Carrigan Hotel. It was very friendly and nice. The second time I stayed at Sheedy's Country House Hotel. It was great! The only B&B I personally know of is Kincora House. It's down the street from Carrigan. They have nice rooms and a Pub. Are you going for the Match Making? It will be in full swing. I've found Lisdoon. to be a good place to stay near the Burren and Doolin. I'm sure it is great fun in Sept. Good luck, Joan
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the comments. I won't be in town during the matchmaker festival. However, I'll be in this area for a couple days before heading to Galway for the Oyster festival.

This will be my first trip to Ireland. I'm quite excited. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

I plan on spending two days in Dingle, 2 in Lisdoonverna, and, as mentioned, two in Galway for the festival.

Do you feel like Lisdoonverna is a good place to land for a couple days, or should I consider something else in the surrounding area?

Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:50 PM

Will you have a car? If so, it's a great place to stay and tour the area. If you don't have a car, I don't think there is enough in the village to keep you more then a few hours. I like it as a base. I loved Dingle and Connemara. Connemara is closer to Galway. I hope some of the others will pitch in soon with some ideas . You came to the right place to get great info. Joan
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I will have a car. Thanks again for the comments Joan
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM

We stayed at Carrigan House several years ago and liked it--and their restaurant is good also. It is a great place to stay if you want to see Cliffs of Moher. You can also see a lot of the Burren in that area. Local Pub was very friendly and also you can get to Lisdoonvarna quickly if you are flying into Shannon. It is a good stop for that first night if you are driving to Dingle.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM

Lisdoonvarna! Lisdoonvarna! Lisdoon, Lisdoon, Lisdoon, Lisdoonvarna!

Ah! They don't right 'em like that any more

(Att Christy Moore)
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 01:26 AM

Lisdoonvarna is convenient for touring west Clare: Corofin, Doolin, Lahinch, the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher, etc.

Then there's the September MatchMaking festival: People come from all over to participate: mostly Ireland & the UK, but some from the U.S. and other parts of Europe. I think the Falls Hotel is a focal point for it. It looks pretty nice but there were many elderly folks just sitting around near where the mineral spring water is sold. I couldn't figure out if they were looking for 'partners' or what ...

Stop at John Daly's Matchmaker's Pub in town for a pint (or a glass)
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:54 AM

Nedsireland: You have me confused. My children say it doesn't take much to so now days. I stayed at The Falls Hotel and it is in Ennistymon. Are you thinking of another hotel in Lisdoon? I've enjoyed reading about your travels to Ireland. Kind Regards, Joan
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:41 AM

You might consider Kilfenora, as well. It's quite near, and is the home of ceili music in Ireland, so they say.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:46 AM

JoanChatham writes: "Nedsireland: ... I stayed at The Falls Hotel and it is in Ennistymon. Are you thinking of another hotel in Lisdoon?"

No, that's the one! As a matter of fact, John Daly's Matchmaker's pub may also be in Ennistymon (in the Village). I couldn't tell when I left Ennistymon and came into Losdoonvarna. I wasn't driving; I was hitch-hiking.

Thanks for the nice words! Ned

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:28 AM

SHEILA - I've been singing that song in my head since I first saw this post the other day!!