Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Beach vacation in February? Help the totally uninformed, please :)

Beach vacation in February? Help the totally uninformed, please :)

Aug 26th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Beach vacation in February? Help the totally uninformed, please :)

My husband and I would like to find a nice and relatively inexpensive (<$2500US) spot to vacation this February. He's a medical intern so we're looking for something fairly relaxing, like a beachside vacation. Is it warm enough in Southern Europe for a beach vacation at that time? Portugal or Greece, maybe? Italy? Is the budget doable for travel to this area (we would also need to include the cost of travel from Philadelphia)? I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you,
Ali
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:53 PM

I travel on a tight budget and figure 100 dollars a day plus airfair per person.

I am not sure of temps at beaches in Feb. I think it is always pretty warm in southern Italy.
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

I've done a bit of searching this site and it seems like it's probably too cold. Am I wrong?
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and thank Janda for your reply! We'll see if anyone else pipes in with something .
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Intrepid

Well, you don't want to be shivering ON the beach whether you go into the water or not. That time of year may just be too cool for a beachside vacation in even southern Europe but others may have different opinions. A package deal to Hawaii might be better!

Aug 26th, 2003, 01:17 PM

Well, I know this is the Europe board, but from Philly, I'd go to the Caribbean for a beachside vacation in the winter. Or how about South America? It's summer there in our winter.

Just a thought.

Karen
Aug 26th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Depends what you mean by warm enough. By my standards the only place that MIGHT come close is the Canaries. Good cheap hols tho' The "classy" island is Gomera. Enjoy
Aug 27th, 2003, 12:46 AM

Take a look at a map; most of Europe is actually north Boston. US. Naples is on the same latitude as New York; but with the warm Mediterranean Sea, does not have the bitter cold winters. However, no place in Europe is really warm in February. Take a look at weatherbase.com and worlclimate.com

IMO Greece and even southern Italy (Sicily) are not warm enough for beach weather, average HIGH temp in Greece on only about 55F, and in Sicily about 62 F.

The Canary Islands off Spain, mentioned above, are not really that warm either, average high is 56F. I have not been there, but others have mentioned that these islands are fairly dull.

If you can get off the idea of a warm vacation, Europe is relatively cheap in February, esp. if you stay away from ski areas. London and Paris would be good choices. Spain and Italy, while not warm, are still beautiful in winter and it is very low season. I actually like Ireland in the winter, as the Gulf Stream keeps the temperature up a bit (average high of 45F) and February is a low rain month; you will see palms trees in Dublin which I never get over each time I am there!
Aug 27th, 2003, 03:17 AM
ira

Hi ali

May I suggest that rather than just vegetating on a beach that you chill out in Venice?

You can take in the city at a very slow pace. Just wander about, stop in and see a Titian or two and enjoy "il dolce far niente".
Aug 27th, 2003, 03:26 AM
Peep

I don't think there are any beaches in Europe I would go to in Feb and expect a warm vacation. Like Sheila said, maybe the Canaries but I haven't been there so really have no idea. How about Mexico?

Aug 27th, 2003, 04:24 AM
sandi

Lots of Europeans go to the Canaries for the winter months, but it's still not warm enough for a "beach vacation" rather better than the wet and cold of the Continent.

With luck, Portugal might be warmer - a friend was there a few years back and while we were in parkas, they were wearing t-shirts - it might have been a quirk. Don't expect the Med area beaches to be worthwhile for a beach holiday, while the air is comfortable for only a blazer, the beach is cold.

If you've ever traveled to Florida in Winter, you find many, many Europeans.

The Caribbean or Cancun areas would be best.

If you're really adventurous you might want to check out a small island off Costa Rica, belonging to Columbia - San Andres. There are 1-wk charter packages out of Toronto or Montreal for about C$1400 with all taxes (about US$800-900/pp +/- depending on currency exchange). You'd only need a flight from Philly to either Toronto or Montreal.

Stay 1-wk, 4-1/2* hotel, all meals, a/c rooms, most activities, transfers, and your air.
Check site: www.airtransat.com or www.airtransat.ca (I'm not sure, sorry).

But not Europe!

Search this Thread