BBC What Not To Wear

Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

BBC What Not To Wear

Not exactly a travel question, but the newest (for the USA anyway) What Not To Wear has new hosts.

What has become of Trinny and Susannah. Not too sure of the spelling.

Sorry for this rather vapid question but my curiosity got the best of me. I'm working on the premise that curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back. Mildred
Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:24 AM

I don't get BBC America (grrrr!) so only see the US version of WNTW. I've only seen clips of the British original, but it looks even better/cattier than the US one.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM

The new one stinks.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:36 AM

S+T (sometimes known as S+M) went over to ITV, where they started "Trinny abd Susannah Undress", last autumn.

As a toiler on the fringes of the rag trade, I always thought the "What not to Wear" book was a lot better than the show about how to dress: the show was really about the two stars, and their (often pretty insightful) views on women's self-confidence.

They've carried that through onto the ITV show, which is much more about the effect of self-confident images on women's relationships. It's the only makeover show I van watch without feeling instantly unwell, and it was always a lot better on the screen than the synposes in the paper made it sound.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM

Count me as a great fan of Trinny and Susannah. I just saw the new hosts on BBCA. They are OK. (I live in the U.S.) While I miss T & S, the new hosts have a decent fashion sense, IMO. And am I the only American who finds the hosts of the US version insufferable snobs and terrible dressers? I hate EVERYTHING they recommend as well as what they wear. It drives me insane to see them held up as "design gurus." Yuch, yuch, yuch.

Or am I just being crabby today?
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Flanneruk - Thanks so much for your insights. New show does seem like a good fit for the girls.

Janis - When BBC America turned up on my cable service at no additional charge, it was a gift from the gods. Always a fan -saw BBC on Boston PBS while living in NY. Now the newer series are a joy - Footballers Wives, Hex (can't wait for the new season this summer) My Family, My Hero etc.

Can't really decided if the new series of WNTW is good or not, was looking at the room decorations instead of clothing frankly.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:55 AM

NThea - totally agree with you about the Americans hosts of WNTW - Stacy and Clinton. They put everyone in the same too short too tight fitted khaki blazer. Boring.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

NThea - you are not having a bad mood, you are telling the truth. And, Stacy is about to have a show of her own very soon. Gads. Mildred
Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:28 PM

BBC...my favorite station. I just taped a What Not to Wear ..haven't seen it yet. Love Silent Witness...

Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM

I actually sorta like Stacey and Clinton. Not cutting edge wardrobes for sure, but those babes do come out looking 1000% better.

And Nick is a genius. Would hock my 1st born child to have him do my hair (only a slight exaggeration)
Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:06 PM

I don't mind Stacy and Clinton. As Janisj said, the women end up looking much, much better. However, I do find their 360-mirror "shtick" quite demeaning and the pointy-toe-shoe edict just plain tiresome. Neither is required to dress a woman attractively in age/size/style-appropriate clothing.
Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM

I agree about Stacy and Clinton. I don't mind some of their suggestions, but I think they put too many different colors together (top one color, bottom another, jacket another, purse another and shoes another - and none of them are complimentary colors) and they definitely overdue the pointy shoe thing.

What bothers me the most, is when I hear them insult someone for wearing a vulgar print top while Clinton is wearing one of his pink & green sweaters, or comment on someone's lackluster hair while Stacy stands there with her stringy hair with the skunk stripe. And Stacy's wardrobe is just as boring and blah as a lot of the others.

Search this Thread