What to wear to a Broadway play?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:52 PM
Toni

What to wear to a Broadway play?

First time going to a Broadway play and wondered what is normal attire? Where I'm from, everything from jeans to long dresses are worn. I've been advised a nice pant suit will be fine...

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:55 PM
Statia

Toni,

Yes, a nice pantsuit will be fine. I've seen everything from jeans and a nice blouse to evening wear. I think with the tourism factor, just about anything "decent" fits in.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:05 PM
suzanne

There are mostly tourists at Broadway shows...most of them "dress up" though I've seen some outlandish outfits. I was passing thru Times Sq. last night and saw a woman in a red dress, red shoes, and red NYLONS - eek! Also alot of women wear sparkly/shiny minidresses which I think are a riot - who wants to sit on hard sequins for 2 hours? LOL. When I go I usually wear exactly the type of thing I'd wear to work...black or grey pants and a sweater or button-down shirt. It certainly looks more respectable than these outfits that make women look like prostitutes!

That being said, yes, a pant suit would be perfect, and you'd look more like a NYer (if that matters to you).

Have fun at the play!!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 04:30 PM
Statia

Off topic, but.....

I'd certainly like to meet you someday, Suzanne. Seems we tend to post on a lot of the same threads.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:09 PM
newyorker

"Mostly tourists"?
don't you think there are plenty of New Yorkers going to the theater?
And someone dressing up to go out may not be your style, but at least it is better than a tee shirt and jeans.
And sparkly clothes may be dressing up where these women are from, you really should not compare them to prostitutes because they want to dress up and look nice at a play in New York.
Please try not to live up to the bad image of rude New Yorkers.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:51 AM
to

here here!!
topping

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:43 AM
TC

What ever you wear - take a sweater, jacket or wrap no matter the outside temperature. The Broadway theaters are absolutely freezing. I suffered through far too many fridgid performances with numb hands and a stiff neck from the cold air that pours out. This is especially true if you have seats in the balcony or mezzanine. Do other NY'ers support this assessment?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Statia

Yes, I too get cold in the theatres, so I always wear something with long sleeves or bring a sweater.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:15 AM
suzanne

Newyorker,
I've never seen anyone going to the theater in a t-shirt & jeans. I think at $50 a pop it's a situation that demands nicer clothing than that.
And yes, it IS mostly tourists that go to these shows: people from NJ, Westchester, Connecticut and elsewhere. Not sure why you think I'm rude, I was just explaining to Toni what "normal" Broadway attire is - dressing like a ho (I'm not saying they ARE hos, they just don't dress tastefully). But I think Toni cares more about what she looks like or she wouldn't have posted here.

TC - YES, it's always good to have a sweater, jacket, or wrap as you never know how cold it's going to be ANYWHERE indoors in this city. I nearly froze my butt off in the subway last week. A t-shirt, though great in the 90-degree heat, was no match for the under-60-degree F Train.

Statia - I know! I assume from your posts that you live just outside the city, but visit often?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Statia

Suzanne:

Actually I'm a US citizen, but reside overseas. However, I do go to NYC once or twice a year (for the past nine years) on business.

Luckily my trip last week was the first I was ever able to make for vacation only. My husband and I had a fabulous time seeing all the sights I never have time to see when I'm usually there.

I love NYC like a second home.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:26 AM
Carolyn

Well,I not too sure about what suzanne means by "ho" but living in NYC myself, my husband and I try to go to the theater as often as possible, as do our friends.Maybe we just look like we are tourists,according to suzannes assessment of who goes to NY theaters.
And having been to the theater in other cities (London,Paris)there are often people in jeans, sweaters,etc.This does not make them less or more of a person than one who wears a suit.People that go to the theater,concerts,ballets, go for the love of it, not because they have the "right outfit" to wear.
I,for one, being on a few boards myself, am happy especially at this time in NY life, to see people in the audiences, dressed however they wish to be...Being there is the important thing!
Toni-have a wonderful visit!
Carolyn

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:29 AM
xxx

Sorry to disillusion you guys, but I'm a female New Yorker and I have gone to the theater in a t-shirt & jeans-- not ripped jeans and dirty t-shirts because I don't wear those anyway.
Often I am going to the theater directly from work, and that's what I wear to work. Also, if I'm going to sit in an often cramped theater seat for 2 and a half to 3 hours (in the dark, after all) , I want to be comfortable.
If I were to be so fortunate as to attend an opening night or special benefit performance, of course I would dress up,as for any other special occasion. But for me, I go the theater (often) to enjoy myself and that includes being comfortable.
Toni, a nice pants suit will be fine. You WILL see everything from jeans to semi-formal dress. Let everyone wear what they want and have a good time

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:38 AM
RnR

You've raised an interesting question. Of course, the main thing is to attend the theatre, to support the creators. That helps keep theatre and creators alive and active. Against those considerations, naturally a dress "codes" pales, even seems trivial. But I suppose what troubles me is why people once felt it important to dress for theatre. Was it a class thing? Another question: if one must wear a jacket, or leave jeans in the closet, does that actually work to keep attendance down? Is it a hardship or imposition to dress up a bit for a special occasion? Or is my view simply out of date? I've noticed that travel questions always spark the what to wear debate ... some people want to hear that they do not need to bring anything special for a special trip, that everyday clothing will be just fine. I see this especially for NY. I for one am glad I have the opportunity which travel can offer to bring something special to wear, and I can think of no place more fitting for it than theatre.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:40 AM
Jess

Here, here RnR! I've never understood people who want to do something special, like go to the theatre or a really nice restaurant and then complain about dressing up. Wearing nice clothing shows respect for both the importance of the event and the people around you. As a side note, I don't get itwhen people claim dress clothes are uncomfortable--jeans are much more restricting than a skirt.
I find it very rude when people attend concerts and the theatre in jeans. It says "this is no more important or special to me than eating pizza on my couch." Last week I was at a Philharmonic concert and the woman sitting in front of me was not only dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt, but was eating M&Ms during the performance. Come on, even if you don't care, that sort of behavior is rude to the people around you and cheapens their evening.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
x

yessir, you hear it for NO too. somebody say theyre going, hubby refuses to get out of the jeans, and shes wondering can we get by with khakis. people fall all over themselves telling us about the slobs they see in places to eat or at shows. so, the hubby gets the khakis. i bet he nevers takes a jacket either to wear.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:20 PM
xxx

Jess and others,I beg to differ.
Eating during a movie or live performance, or talking on a cell phone or to your companion,is disturbing to others nearby and I (and I suspect most of you) would never consider such behavior OK.
As far as dress, I respectfully disagree that my wearing jeans 'cheapens' someone else's experience. (And yes, I do find jeans more comfortable than wearing a dress, but I wouldn't begrudge anyone who wants to wear a dress or suit, nor would I make fun of someone who wants to go in black tie). Certain places, some restaurants, some houses of worship, for example, have explicit dress codes. In those circumstances, I am happy to comply. Sometimes, I dress up for the theater or concerts too. NYC theater does not have a dress code. Perhaps the person next to you really can't afford "fancier dress" and was given a ticket as a gift. Perhaps, a traveler's luggage was lost. Most likely, people decide to dress casually because they want to, that's all. Support of the arts includes attendance at events, and, often, paying to keep these performance/exhibitions going. To me that's more important than whether the person next to me is wearing a sequined dress (to borrow another example from above) or jeans.

Again, Toni, our original poster, is getting far more of a debate than she wanted, I'm sure! Stick to your pants suit if you're comfortable and you will be fine...

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:28 PM
x

oh, xxx, all over the ballpark. really, some creative stuff there - the poor poor soul who was given the ticket but poverty permits not nicer clothes. the poor tourist with lost luggage, stuck in threads at hand. a repeated plea to support the arts. dress codes in houses of worship (I think god really doesnt care what you wear so long as you attend). but that doesn't apply to theatre or the folks who have to sit next to you in those old dogeared jeans.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 05:50 PM
From a New Yorker

If you DON'T want to look like a tourist, wear black. Make it smart, basic, minimalist - no frills. You can wear pants, dress or suit. When you accessorize, remember less is better. Enjoy! NYC is a wonderful city.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:05 PM
mom

My son was backpacking in England and Wales and had just a small amount of clothing with him,since he had to carry it on his back everywhere!
He was given tickets to see a play in London.Should he have turned them down because he could only wear jeans?
He went,clean and wearing jeans, and I am sure that the actors on the stage were not offended and he had a wonderful time,and a nice experience.
I would like to think that having the nice experience is the important thing,not what you wore to have it.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:06 PM
getalife

I go to the theatre all the time and always wear jeans. Maybe this is an age thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -