Notices

Jeans for older women?

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Leslie_in_VA

Jeans for older women?

Do women over 40 in Ireland wear jeans these days? I haven't been to Ireland in 20 years, but the last time I was there, women over 40 dressed mostly in skirts. At that time, of course, it wasn't as common here for that age group to wear jeans. I would prefer not to be instantly recognizable as an American...!

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. I would prefer not to be instantly recognizable as an American...!

Too bad for one to be ashamed of their country. I always try to wear something that is American - but in a nice way, like a peace button i have with an American flag design. But i don't care to hide my identity...i suggest you wear a Canadian flag or something if you are so ashamed of your nation...for which currently there is a lot to be ashamed of.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM

I would think the only way to acheive a non-american look would be to do all your clothes shopping once you get there.

Oh, and remember to talk funny, with a made-up accent. They can probably recognize an American accent.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:17 AM

Upon reflection let me apologize for being too strident and accusatory in my answer. But i would not worry about being instantly recognized as a Yank - after all as soon as you open your mouth it will be intuitively obvious to the most casual observor. And my experience in Europe in general is that older women are perhaps even more likely to wear jeans than Americans. I just entertained three French ladies in their early 60s and they all wore jeans for most of the time there were in the States. I just wouldn't worry about it but pack a skirt or better long dress if going to any formal occasions. Sorry about being so boisterous in my first reply.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:26 AM

I'm no Ireland expert as I haven't been there in at least 10 years so will let others comment on the latest, but I have a different opinion and experience than Bob's First, over 40 can mean anything -- it can mean 42 or it can mean 90, and there is a big big difference.

However, I certainly would not say that for "older" women, European women wear jeans more than Americans. My experience isn't anything remotely like that, so I find that observation very unusual. I would be willing to say that this is flat out wrong, but I just don't know what kind of women Bob is hanging out with (Eur or Americans) for that to be true. I also know quite a few expat Europeans and see them at times in my home city which is pretty international, including tourists, and they do not wear jeans as much as American women do.

I don't care if people know I am American as I'm not ashamed of it, but I think this is really an issue of wanting to not dress very differently than the locals to be comfortable, rather than the American issue (I presume).
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Leslie_in_VA

Thank you, Christina, for understanding what I meant.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM

I wear jeans in Europe when I'm not too chubby. It seems to me that I wore them for the trip to Spain which we took in 2004, as I was slender as a whippet....Well, maybe not quite that slender, but you get the idea. My young Spanish teacher said that her mother wore them.

I wouldn't worry about being recognized as American. Other things such as a camera, the shoes, the fact that you're sight-seeing, etc., will probably brand you as American. Who cares!

I wore all black in 2001 in Spain and the beggars hit me up for money anyway. The only place I'm not recognizable as an American is in Germany, where I'm frequently asked directions.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Everyone the world over wears jeans, whether or not they look good in them is another matter. Only wear styles suitable for your age/figure, e.g. if you're in your 50s and fat then don't wear skinny jeans with lots of detailing. If you've skinny legs, wear skinny jeans, if you've chunkier legs wear baggier jeans, if you've fat legs, a tent like skirt tends to cover all sins.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:59 AM

jeans were everywhere in Paris in February.
Don't wear those jeans with "whiskers" or bleached spots .
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM

I wear jeans all the time at home. Rarely when I travel abroad ... but not because I'm worried about my clothes fitting into the place as much as I'm worried about my clothes fitting into my luggage. Jeans are heavy, take up a lot of room, and take a long time to dry when washed!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM

I agree, it is the style of the jeans and what you are putting into them that counts.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Please, wear whatever you feel confortable with (ok, fluorescent colors are too shiny)
There's no way to hide your American (or French, or Japanese), just don't worry about it. Sometimes I recognize tourist here in Spain because they try to blend...it's not a good idea, you are what you are and it's perfectly OK
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Hi Leslie, Wear what you are comfortable in. Jeans are very versitle, you can dress them up, dress them down, they are warm in cool weather months.

Be comfortable. My "over 40" Mom wore jeans throughout her England, Scotland and Ireland trip, she's adorable, she dressed them up and was very comfy. It is amazing what a darling scarf or wrap will do to dress things up a bit.

If you are not comfortable in jeans, do not wear them.

Here, there and everywhere, wear what you feel best in.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Leslie_in_VA: In our last 4 trips overseas I have found that the "tourists" wear jeans. That said, the "tourists" in Spain are Spanish, the "tourists" in France are French, etc. etc.

Many people on this board seem to forget that in many cities abroad the tourists are from that very country and they dress the way they like. They don't care what others think, they want to be comfortable while walking. The style/cut of your jeans will automatically show that you are an American. So what?

If you were in NYC and fellow New Yorkers were visiting the Empire State Building, guess what, they would wear jeans. The business people in the city would not but they are not on vacation.

As long as you are not wearing a T-shirt that states "I am an Irish-American", have 4 cameras around your neck and keep singing Yankee Doodle Dandy most people are just happy you are interested enough to visit their country.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:01 PM

I am over 40 and slender and when not working wear jeans at home more than anything else. However, I do not travel abroad with jeans. Not because I don't want to appear American but because they really aren't all that comfortable for traveling and take up too much space. I like easy,lightweight comfortable clothes that move and can be washed and airdried if necessay.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I am 48 and have "rediscovered" jeans this year. I am fairly slim, and Banana Replublic has some that aren't too "teen aged." We went to Italy this summer-I took stone colored dress slacks and one pair of jeans. I felt like an old lady in the dress slacks. I felt good in the jeans. For Barcelona in March, I'm bringing two pairs of "dressy" jeans and a pair of black tropical wool slacks. (Note to self: Stop eating all the Christmas chocolate you brought to work or the jeans won't fit anymore!)
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Leslie, I have not tried these jeans, but I hear good things about them...they are all over the web, and I have seen them in Nordstrom's:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/2871955/...376057~2379941

They are called, Not Your Daughter's Jeans.

I have never taken jeans to Europe, but it is because of the weight/ drying time/ like someone earlier said. I really would not feel self-conscious in them. We always see people dressed every which way....just like in the good ole USA.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:46 PM

I have a pair but don't like them because of the stretch fabric.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM

This thread is reminding me of that Saturday Night Live commercial for "Mom Jeans." As you might guess, very high waist and huge bottom.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM

As long as you do not look like the back end of a bus in jeans wear them if you want to. Personally, I like jeans, I wear them in Europe, and I'm "over 40" - but then again I am 115 lbs, 5'5". If I weighted 170 or something I'd stay away from jeans (and diet).

We have family in France and everyone wears jeans. I have German friends, they wear jeans. Jeans do not make you an American.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO