Bayern Ticket Salzburg-Munich

Dec 6th, 2007, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Bayern Ticket Salzburg-Munich

Flying into Salzburg then getting train to Munich with return 2 days later. Does Bayern ticket machine accept credit cards and do we buy a return ticket or two singles - there is two people travelling.
Dec 6th, 2007, 04:06 AM

There are nos special "Bayern Ticket machiens" and no "returns or singles". A Bayern ticket is just valid for a whole day for up to 5 persons. The DB ticket machines accept credit cards; local transit (MVV) ticket machines do not.
Dec 6th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for such a quick and useful response. Can we get a bayern ticket from either of these machines - whichever one we happen to see on the platform in Salzburg or Munich on the way back?
Dec 6th, 2007, 05:59 AM

The tip I received on this board was that the ticket was available from the "DB" ticket machine, not the Austrian OBB machines. Also print your name on the ticket where it says Blockshrift!

Have a great trip!
Dec 6th, 2007, 06:25 AM

>Can we get a bayern ticket from either of these machines - whichever one we happen to see on the platform in Salzburg or Munich on the way back?

In Munich, you can buy them from any ticket machine, but only the grey/red DB ticket machines take credit cards; the others blue MVV ones) only accept cash (they have an intake for bills, though).

In Salzburg, where the station belongs to both German rail (DB) and Austrian one (OeBB), you have to use th DB machines as the Bayern (Bavaria) ticket is, well, an offer of Bavaria - not of Austria.

DB ticket machines can be switched to English.
Dec 6th, 2007, 07:05 AM

I spent an hour between trains in Neumarkt-Kallham, Austria, in October, with little to do except check out the ticket vending machine. I was surprised to find that this machine sold a Bayern-Ticket. But, like Salzburg, there is a train line from there going to Germany.

You can find three kinds of ticket machines in Munich: a modern touch-screen DB automat, a "Nahverkehr" (regional) automat, or an MVV automat. The Nahverkehr and MVV machines are very similar, with plackards on the left which give a number code for stations, a keypad to enter the station number, and two column of buttons for special ticket, such as the Bayern-Ticket. You might find either of the first two kinds in Salzburg.

I've seen touchscreen automats that take only credit cards; I'm not sure if I have seen any that take cash. However, I have seen (and photographed) both Nahverkehr and MVV automats that take either cash or credit cards.

I know of one station that has a touch screen automat, and a Nahverkehr automat, side by side.
Dec 6th, 2007, 07:39 AM

In train stations like Munich there are all kinds of machines available. But if you donīt stay as close to the main station in Munich that you would walk there, you will have to work with one of the MVV machines to buy the Bayern Ticket before your arrival at the train station - so you can save yourself the costs of a tram / subway ticket.
Dec 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for this very clear and helpful info - we will be all set with English translation and credit card facilities - just have to make sure we don't get on the wrong train like we did last trip in Friedrichshafen (travelled 20kms past our stop then 20kms back adding nearly 2 hours to what should have been a 4 minute journey from the airport!!!)