COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Bayern Ticket Question

Old Jan 10th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Bayern Ticket Question

I think I already know the answer, but here goes...

My wife and I will be staying in Garmisch for 10 days in June. We need to travel to Munich airport to meet a friend who is flying in from England to visit us for a few days. I know that we can use a Bayern ticket to Munich and back, but can our friend join us on the same ticket for the return journey to Garmisch? I think I read somewhere that you cannot add more passengers to the ticket after the original journey begins. I don't mind buying a Bayern Ticket (single) for our friend if needs be. Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 01:16 AM

You will be able to use your Bayern Ticket (after 9am on weekdays) for all of you as you don't need to specify the number of passengers on the ticket (valide for up to 5 adults). You do, however, have to fill in your name (you'll see the section) when you purchase it and possibly show your passport/ID with the ticket if asked. Just make sure you all sit together and when the ticket inspector asks point to the people covered by the ticket. And if the date of validity isn't shown on the ticket, just stamp it in the blue machines at the station (on the platform).

Don't forget the Schönes Wochenende Ticket for weekend travel. And I'm sure you've checked that it's only valid on non-Intercity trains, so the regional train to/from Munich will be fine. And purchase tickets online or from a machine for a Euro2 cheaper deal.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 02:47 AM

It's funny - - the rules definitely state that you are not allowed to increase the size of the group after you start your trip. But there is no record of the number of people on the ticket (does the conductor ever make a notation on the ticket?). My guess is that this is just a technicality to prevent overt public deal-making with strangers on rail platforms.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 03:19 AM

"Don't forget the Schönes Wochenende Ticket for weekend travel."

The Bayern Ticket is available for Saturdays and Sundays too, and with no hours restrictions, so for sinfgree the Schönes Wochenende Ticket would cost more and serve no purpose. The SW Ticket covers all of Germany and would be good for travel outside Bavaria, but singfree is staying within Bavaria's borders.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 05:20 AM

In our two weeks recently in Germany, the conductors only checked tickets on about half the trains. As mentioned, there is nothing to say how many are in your part on the Bavaria ticket. On the other special tickets that cost depending on the number of people, they obviously do have the number of passengers.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. I've used the Bayern Ticket many times over the years, but was confused by the rule on DB's website that states you cannot add passengers as you go. We will be staying in Bayern almost exclusively (also Salzburg), so the Bayern Ticket will be used a lot. The conductor has checked our ticket on just about every train we've been on, so I don't want to do anything wrong when we meet our friend at the airport. Worst case scenario would to buy a Werdenfels Ticket (plus S-Bahn Munich) for 18 Euro for the friend. When we arrive in Germany I will pose this question to DB. Thanks again for your help in this matter!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Hi singfree,

I hadn't read those detailed notes on the DB.

Once I used the Bayern Ticket to travel from Garmisch alone, then meet a friend at the München airport, then travel together back to Garmisch.

I had a regular BT for up to five people, not the single BT, for the trip from Garmisch to München. The conductor looked at it and only noted that I needed to sign it. I signed it, and there was no problem.

On the return trip back to Garmisch, again no problem.

Hope this helps!

s
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 05:42 AM

>>>>>When we arrive in Germany I will pose this question to DB...

Though it could be one of those situations where if you ask, then you can't do it. But you can perfectly well do it if you just go ahead and do it.
Old Jan 12th, 2012, 06:36 AM

as dforh says.. it's a DADT thing
Old Jan 13th, 2012, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone! Swandav2000 answered my question exactly! The only difference is that we will begin our journey with 2 people and add the 3rd later. I really thought that I knew all the ins & outs of the Bayern Ticket, but this one had me stumped!!