Bavaria - First timers need help

Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Bavaria - First timers need help

We will be spending 4 days in the Garmish area in late may and would appreciate any suggestions of good day trips and things to see. We would like to stay in some areas that are a little less touristy. How is Fussen, Garmish, Mittenwald or any other suggestions in that area. We will not have a car.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:41 AM

We will be in that area in April. We plan an overnight in Mittenwald, the viloin makers village, then we have a time-share in Oberstaufen near Lake Constance. We love a little farm Gasthaus near Fussen called Gasthaus Von Schluxen in Unter Pinswang, just on the Austrian side of the border toward Reutte.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM

Not having a car handicaps you enormously. How else can you get to "stay in some areas that are a little less touristy"?

We stayed 6 days in a lovely ferienwohnung in the Leutaschtal, high above Mittenwald (very scenic - and we were the only tourists). Here's my Trip Report...

http://www.fodors.com/forums_reg/pgM...2&tid=34527760
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:15 AM
J62

Caz,
I agree with the others, you should consider getting a car, at least for one or 2 days to take a trip to Fussen to see Neuschwanstein or to Mittenwald. You can rent a car in Garmish by the train station. Set out early one day from Garmish to Fussen, visit Neuschwanstein before the busses full of tourists arrive, then meander back to Garmish for dinner.

In Garmish are there a number of things to do. The town itself is not the destination, but the mountains are.

A full day trip would be to take the train to the top of the Zugspitze. The views of the Alps on a clear day are breathtaking. It will be cold up there in late May, so be prepared.

You can also take a cable car to the top of one of the smaller ski mountains directly outside of town - you can walk there from town. Pack a picnic (& plenty of water), ride to the top of the mountain then follow a hiking trail back to the base. The tourist bureau should have hiking trails. Late May the fields will be alive with flowers. (sorry, almost broke into a Sound of Music tune). There is also a small lake just in the foothills a short distance (1mi?) east of town that has a restaurant & hotel right on the waters edge. Kodak moment on a clear day with the reflection off the lake. I forget the name, but they have some very easy hiking trails that originate there that doable for young and old alike - chance to see some deer or other wildlife. If I come up with the name I'll re-post a reply.

As I said, Garmish itself is not the destination - it's a pretty sleepy little town. The hills above are the lure. (at least for me).

Garmish also has a nice indoor swim hall that offers day passes. I swim laps for exercise, so finding a real pool is a priority for me. Helps burn off the jet lag and the previous night's beer as well.

Just outside town is the old Olympic ski jump area. You can take a bus or drive there. Not terribly exciting for most, but I like visiting these kind of things myself. The best part about the Olympic area is the Summerrodelbahn (Summer toboggan run). Spent 1mo in Garmish w/ kids a few years ago and would make it a point to go on the Rodelbahn everynight for 3-4 rides. OK, it doesn't have a corkscrew loopty loop but it is fun.

Chalets start to look a lot alike after a while so I'm not a big "see every town" fan. Best memories of my vacation there are the outdoor activities with the family.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

TuckH,

I apologize for my ignorance, but I thought that there was trains between the small towns. Is this incorrect?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

J62,

We also prefer the outdoor activities. I have heard that there is a good gorge hike in that area, do you know about it?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM
J62

Not a silly question at all Caz.

Yes, just about every town is on some rail line, but in that area, the various rail lines run like fingers away from a central point like Munich or smaller hubs to the south. You CAN get THERE from HERE, but it will likely take 3 times as long and require 1 or more change of trains.

A quick query of the Deutshe Bahn web site shows limited options getting from Garmish to Fuessen. (note the spelling).
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:32 AM
J62

Caz,
My last reply was about trains, I guess you could tell.

Regarding the gorge, you're taxing my frail memory now. Doesn't pop into my head - sorry.

I think Garmish has their own web site and they may list day hikes. If you can't find it ahead of time, I'd just ask around once I got to town (hotel, tourist bureau, etc).
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Before committing against a car, price them. Then price the train(s), for two or more people, of course. If the cost is the objection, then you'll be in a position to judge. If you don't know how to drive, of course, it's a moot point.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

After talking about it we will probably have a car while we are there. What opportunities does that open up for us?
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:02 AM
J62

Caz,
A car basically opens up all the possibilities you first proposed or that have popped up in this thread. There are numerous other threads about this area you can browse as well.

Close in evnrions around Garmish, like some of the outdoor activities are easier to get to and don't require schedule preplanning to catch a bus.

The main thing it opens up is the rest of Southern Bavaria. Fussen (Neuschwanstein), Schloss Linderhoff, Mittenwald, Oberamergau, etc. and points in between.

At this point in my travel planning I like to break out a good old fashioned paper road map. Mark the points I know about or want to visit, then try to connect the dots for a logical itinerary or day trip plan. A day trip plan for me is plotting a bee line from point A to B (like getting to Fussen before the crowds), then later meandering my way back home as fast as slow as I wish, stopping in small villages, roadside shops, scenic overlooks, or just to get a bite to eat.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Caz, I'm glad (for you) that you're opting for a car - it's a MUST.

IMO, forget the gorge (Partnachklamm). It's the high Alps that you're there for.

Number One has to be the Zugspitze (on a clear day) and a hike around the Eibsee - at the base of the Zugspitze. Spend time in Mittenwald, Oberammergau, the Wies Church, etc. Don't bother with Fussen IMO. Hang out in off-the beaten-track Leutaschtal, etc, etc.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Hey Caz:

Tuck knows his stuff! I agree with his assessments!
Note: There still will be snow in the higher elevations...especially up on the Zugspitz! Bring light fleece jackets!
Check out www.bavarianben.com for some excellent information in that area!

Hey! I think you will be there in Spargel Season! Yum! Yum!

John
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Agree that Fuessen doesn't make an especially great home base. You can see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles easily in a morning or an afternoon and not stay overnight in Fuessen.