Search

Bavaria and Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 02:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bavaria and Switzerland

Hi,
Next summer (July) i want to visit with my family a part of Switzerland including the Schiltorn and Bavaria (Munich and surroundings). We are 8 people (4 adults and 4 teenagers. The trip will take around 12 days. I will be pleased if you could get me some itinerary and places to go and to sleep. If i wil rent a house, where is the best place to do it? can you sugest me any contact?
Does anybody went to Park Europa?
Best regards
Rui
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi RMPC (where are you from originally?)

I'm the Europa Park expert here. It's a great place but July is high season so expect lines. The park is clean, quaint and interesting for children and adults alike. We loved the gladiator show, my husband adored the huge roller coaster and the kids loved the Poisedon ride.

The sections in EuropaPark reflect Europe and Africa (although the African section is really just a lake and a playground.) The Swiss section is the most realistic.

The 3 hotels are very good in the park. The best is the Colesseum (sp) but the other two are just as good. I recommend booking in advance because they are usually booked in summer months.

When you get to the park in the morning, do the Spanish part first because it's on the other side of the main entrance and consequently has less visitors. The log ride is very enjoyable there as well as the Splash ride.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 06:57 AM

The Schilthorn is south of Interlaken.
There are numerous hotels there, some of them are very expensive as you might guess.

To reach the Schilthorn by train, you will need to go to the Interlaken Ost (East) train station and take the BOB private rail line to Lauterbrunnen.

From there you continue up the side of the valley to Mürren. In Mürren you take the Schilthornbahn to the top.

There are also hotels in Lauterbrunnen and Mürren.

Lauterbrunnen for me is a good base for the whole Berner Oberland which includes the villages of Wilderwil and Wengen and the larger town of Grindelwald, which has many hotels.

Grindelwald is also reached by train from Interlaken Ost. A paved road goes there also, but you go out the same way you came in.

Transportation throughout the whole area is excellent with trains, buses, and cable lines reaching well up into the mountains. The scenery is spectacular.

If you decide you want to stay a week or more, you might consider renting two apartments. I don't know that you could find one apartment that would accommodate 8 people. I haven't looked for one, so I don't know.

I enjoy the Berner Oberland because of the scenery and the activities of exploring the mountains.

I would like to suggest that the Jungfraujoch, while a more expensive trip, is for me vastly more scenic than the Schilthorn. I am sure I will get an argument on that, but if I had the option to make a choice between the two, I would take the Jungfraujoch trip provided that I could hike to the hikers' shelter building about a mile away along a groomed snow track.

Let me suggest that you move now to make reservations for places to stay.
You can go to a search engine such as Google or Yahoo and enter

Lauterbrunnen Accommodations or
Mürren Accommodations or
Interlaken Accommodations

As late in the year as you are just now starting to look for places, you probably will find your choices limited.
So don't wait.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:48 AM

Clarification.
I should have said that there are many hotels in Interlaken. Not at the Schilthorn. It is the peak of a small mountain west of Mürren.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM

I might add that the train trip from Park Europa to Munich is rather long.
About 5 hours or more.

I think you could spend 5 days in the Lauterbrunnen - Grindelwald - Interlaken area without being bored.

As a side trip from the mountains, visit the Museum of Swiss Life (outdoor) near Brienz at a location called Ballenberg.

You can take the train to Brienz and then take a bus to the gate of the museum. Or, if you have a car, you can park at either Ballenberg East or West. I have gone in both ways. The museum area is large and consists of farm buildings brought in from all over Switzerland. Many buildings such as the bakeries and the sawmill are in working order.