Search

7 days in Bernese Oberland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 days in Bernese Oberland

Hi

My husband and I are planning a trip for the first 2 weeks of June and would like to spend 7 days in the Bernese Oberland. Would it be better to stay in one city (say Interlacken) and travel to the others on day trips or would we see (and do more) if we stay a night or 2 in 4 different towns/villages. Our plans there are sight-see, hike/walk, eat well and relax (shopping is not important to us. Any advice from those of you have been there would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have specific names of pleasant pensions, etc. that would be helpful. We have asked for and received advice from these forums in the past anthey've never led us astray. Thanks

Olga
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 05:56 PM

The Bernese Oberland is stunning! Seven days is a long time, but if you're an avid hiker it probably isn't enough time. There is often still quite a bit of snow hanging around even in June.

If you're going for the beauty, I don't think I'd pick Interlaken. If I had to pick one town to base in it would be Lauterbrunnen. It is small, and beatifully nestled in the valley and has train connections to the major sights. If you wanted to spread it around a bit, you might consider staying in the valley a few nights and then choose a village up higher like Wengen or Murten. Grindlewald might be another choice, but it is the most touristy of the smaller villages. Wengen is more expensive then Murten. Murten is up above Gimmelwald and you can take the funicular from Lauterbrunnen, (and I think a train) or you can take the gondola up from Schtechelburg,(my spelling on that one is WRONG!)If you aren't afraid of heights that gondola ride is one of the most beautiful five minutes you'll ever spend. A train is available from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen as well. Enjoy!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks McBetsy!!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:17 PM
yk

Olga-
Agree with McBetsy. Esp if you're not a shopper, there's no reason to stay in Interlaken. Just want to remind you that apart from going up the mountains and hiking, make sure you spend time on the lakes (afterall, it's called Interlaken for good reason). Both Lakes Thun and Brienz are beautiful, and if you have a train pass, the ferries are free and you can hop on/hop off as many times as you want.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Transportation in the Berner Oberland, particularly if you stay in Lauterbrunnen, is quite good. There are mountain trains and cable lifts that lead to many higher destinations.
The whole network is so well integrated that you can easily get from one place to the othere with relative ease.

In saying that, I do not mean to convey that you don't have to check train schedules, particularly between Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen in the evening.

The most thrilling trips in the area are, in my opinion, 4. The trip to the Jungfraujoch is the most expensive, but in many ways the most interesting, particularly if you walk the snow track to the Mönchjochhütte - a large hikers' shelter on the flank of the Mönch, one of the trilogy of Jungfrau, Eiger, and the Mönch. The goldola from Grindelwald to the ridge top called First is beautiful on a clear day as the north wall of the Eiger looms large as you ascend. Then there is the Schilthorn, one of the better viewpoints around, and, last, there is the ride to the crest of the ridge known as Schynige Platte.

Other outstanding rides include the cable line up to the crest of the Männlichen from Wengen, that awesome ridge that towers some 4,000 feet above Lauterbrunnen.

Other fun trips include a visit to Wengen with a walk along the trail facing the Jungfrau. And there are some other trips that will take you deep into the mountain world.

I would not stay in Interlaken, although there are some very nice hotels there, because of the scenery elsewhere higher in ther mountains.

Interesting side trips can be had to Kandersteg and a visit to the Oeschinensee via a cable ride, and to Meiringen for a visit to this neat village.

Other side trips, like Bern, Thun, Spiez, and even Luzern are possible.

The question arises, "Do I need a car?"
Probably not as long as you stick to the BOB area. But, if you want to range farther into the hills, such as driving over the Grimsel Pass, and/or to visit Zermatt, you will need a car.
Zermatt is possible easily as a day trip from Lauterbrunnen. (I have done it with ease. Leave Lauterbrunnen before 8, take the train through the tunnel at Kandersteg, and drive to Täsch, where there is a car park for the train to Zermatt. (The ordinary person does not drive to Zermatt.)
Then return the same route, arriving before dark.

I suggest you consider renting a vacation apartment for the week. It will be cheaper than a hotel. The apartments are furnished and you have a kitchen if you want to use it.
(We usually have breakfast foods and snack foods available.)

Obviously I like the place and have visited there several times with a return scheduled for September.

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 07:40 PM

I would recommend Lauterbrunnen. I have traveled to many countries, and have found this little town to be the most gorgeous spot in the entire world.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't stay in Interlaken. We did this once, and found ourselves spending all our time higher up. Murren (not Murten) is above Gimmelwald, and a personal favorite, as is Wengen. With 7 days, you can easily split your time between two villages, which will reduce your travel time from one place to another.

As always, Bob Brown has given some excellent tips - we've done all of the activities he suggests although we don't stay in Lauterbrunnen, but it would be an excellent base.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:50 AM

Wengen and Mürren are on opposite sides of the valley, well offset from each other. Wengen is slightly north of Lauterbrunnen and on the east side of the valley, up on the shelf so to speak.
Mürren is a little south of Lauterbrunnen on the opposite side from Wengen, about 1,500 feet above the valley floor.

There is enough to see and so on both sides to merit a stay in both. I usually visit both while I am there.

Wengen is accessible by mountain train from Lauterbrunnen. It is on the line that leads up to Kleine Scheidegg, which the changing point for the train to the Jungfraujoch.

Mürren can be reached by cable lift from a station at the end of the valley, where there is a large car park, or from Lauterbrunnen by cable car, that runs on wheels, and a small train from a changing station called Grutschalp.

The trail from Grutschalp to Mürren is one of the most scenic walks you will find in those mountains that is also relatively flat.

I think it all depends on what you want to do once you get there. All of the places are winners and each has its strong points.

I will say this, Wengen has the best bakeries I have found in the area.
I can stuff myself daily on those goodies. Probably murder on my cholesterol, but they are fantastic.

and a ride up the Luftseilbahn to the top of the ridge is real adventure.
The view from up there is stupendous.
The Jungfrau and the Eiger seem to be close enough to touch.

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:10 AM

As with most of the other posts I would avoid Interlaken. I was in Switzerland last May. Our original plan was to explore a large portion of the country but that didn't happen because we fell in love with Gimmelwald! We were planning on two nights in Interlaken but after one we decided to head higher into the mountains. We were then only going to stay one night in Gimmelwald but each morning after we woke up we talked about how much we loved it and how we were going to miss it. Then we would look at each other and laugh and stay another night! We stayed up there for 5 nights! You have to walk or take the funicular up to find any merchants but the view and the people are amazing! Each day we would take a different hike. I would have to say it is one of the most beautiful places on earth! Here is a web site for you to check out www.gimmelwald.com.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM

Well, from someone who has stayed in Interlaken as a base - take the others' advice. If you don't care much about shopping, then definitely choose somewhere like Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, or Murren. You will not be sorry. I know I will pick one those on my next trip, probably Wengen or Murren to stay up in the mountains.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 04:52 PM

I knew when I wrote it that Murten was wrong, (another lovely walled town in Switzerland by the way). Sorry for the mistake, it doesn't seem to have caused any confusion.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 04:36 AM
jmw

not a bit, Betsy. And you're right, Murten is nice, too. So much Switzerland, so little time. J.

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 05:33 AM

What about Brienz near Interlaken as a home base? Is it too busy or touristic?
I am planning a similar trip as Olga with my family of preteens and parents. We are focusing on the countryside.
Love Fodors Talk for travel tips!
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 05:49 AM
jmw

Hi, Olga and Island Breeze. A number of years ago I stayed in Brienz and daytripped up into the mountains, as well as to Lucerne, Berne, Thun, Ballenberg, etc. The view across Brienzersee toward the mountains was beautiful, and I loved it. Now the last time I stopped in at Brienz while toodling via lakeboat, it felt jammed with tourists -- but that was the middle of a Saturday or Sunday. Sooo, I think that if you stay in Brienz, you'll appreciate it early in the morning and maybe late in the evening. At least I hope its beauty still shines through. But if you daytrip from there, that's mostly when you'll experience it anyway. Train connections were very good. J.

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Brienz is a lovely lake town. The only problem I see with it is that it is farther from the mountains than Interlaken. Like all of those Swiss towns, they are very high caliber and each one has much to offer. It simply depends on what you want to do after you get there.

I have gotten into the Lauterbrunnen habit because we found a nice apartment in a good location. It is now familiar territory and we know what we can do when we get there. I like knowing my location, and in the several summers that we have visited there, we have learned the surrounding area quite well.

Some people like change, but I found as winner in my living quarters and I know exactly what to expect.
And the view of the Männlichen to the east and the peak of the Jungfrau to the south while I eat breakfast is something I love.

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 04:59 AM

So Mr. Brown...
Are you at liberty to give information on the wonderful apartment in Lauterbrunnen?
Or could you recommend a family owned inn that would accomodate and breakfast 7 people?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:58 AM

None of the apartments at Chalet Horner can accommodate 7 people.

I think you could rent the largest and the smallest one, however. The largest sleeps 5; the smallest sleeps 2.

A place called Pfrundmatte run by
Christiane und Gilbert Vonarb-Meier
CH-3822 Lauterbrunnen
claims to have 7 beds.
It is located on the south side of the village, beyond the church, and very near Staubbach Falls.
I do not know the people.

Tel: +41(0)61 482 34 86

email: [email protected]

Many people in the valley read English and quite a few of them speak it.

Teresa Stäger who owns and runs Chalet Horner is 100% perfectly fluent in English.

Staubbach B and B is a good bet for a commercial hotel.

You can figure on 45 francs per person in a 4 bed room and a 3-bed room.
That is 315 chf per night or about 252 USD. Breakfast is included.

Lauterbrunnen has a good website that shows the hotels and other accommodations. I suggest you have a look.

Also, please note I said the apartment I rent is good for me. I cannot say it will be good for someone else. But, if we get back there in September, it will be our 5th visit.
So it has satisfied me and my wife.
The best apartment I have rented, however, is in Austria -- in Langenfeld in the Ötztal. Haus Michael. Great apartment.