Switzerland Specifics

Old Feb 26th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Switzerland Specifics

Hello-

We will be in Switzerland for 3 days, one full dedicated to visiting family area of Aschi b. Spiez. (Any lodging recommendations)?

In your opinion, what is the one thing my mom should not leave Switzerland without seeing? After Switzerland we will be going to Venice, so in that direction is perfect!

Thank you for your assistance
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 11:14 AM

How old is your mom and in what kind of shape? I would reco visiting the top of at least one mountain (and seeing the countryside on the way up - esp in the berner oberland) - but if she has health problems - esp breathing - or was ever a smoker - that could be a challenge unless she sticks to one of the smaller ones - like Pilatus or titlus near Lucerne.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 12:55 PM
ira

Hi 3,

You will be almost on the Thunersee, near Interlaken, not far from Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Grindlewald, etc, etc, etc.

There can be only one answer - the mountains.

Old Feb 26th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Take the loop train to Wengen, Kleine Scheidigg, Grindelwald, and back to Interlaken--stopping in whichever. As Ira says, the mountains.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM

What Bob said. This can be done no matter what her health condition, since the train ride itself is spectacular. The views of the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau mountains are incredible. If she is up to it, you can stop for lunch and a stroll at Kleine Scheidigg, or if the weather is clear and you are willing to shell out the $$, you can go all the way to the top of the Jungfraujoch. You can also take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidigg and back (via Wengen); there are a number of alternatives depending upon where you depart from and how much time you have.
Old Feb 26th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Well, the mountains it is!! We plan on having a whole day for this portion of he adventure (providing we find the family's cabin in the first 2 days). I wasn't sure if the Matterhorn was something that would be good to do? Or if there was something better.

However, I really like the idea of the train-if it provides opportunity for us to get out and explore! Her health is good, though she is 62. She is very active and is super independent. If it got too rough, then we would just do what she feels she can handle.

Thank you!!!