Bath on a Saturday vs. Midweek

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide on whether to go on a Saturday or midweek during my 9 days in London.

Does Bath turn into a sea of tourists on Saturday mornings, or is it essentially crowded all week?

Since that Saturday would be my only Saturday in London, that is, my only Saturday except for the day I arrive, but we'll be to tired to do much that first day except walk around South Ken where we're staying.

So, would you sacrifice your only Saturday in London for a day in Bath, given that you'll have the previous 6.5 full days in London.

I had this vision of using Bath as a midweek destination to break up the urban experience and help my toddler recover a bit from the jetlag, but my husband wants us to go with his brother who is working that week and can only take the Saturday day trip.

Thanks,
Kat
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:45 PM

If I were you, I'd go to Bath on a weekday. Bath is a major shopping destination for locals so Saturdays can get very crowded. On weekday mornings you can sometimes have the Roman Baths almost to yourselves.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:55 PM

What's wrong with a Sunday in Bath, I'm assuming your husband's brother won't be working then? Some shops might be closed, but the major tourist attractions remain open.

If you're too tired on the Saturday then don't bother seeing Bath, I doubt you'd be in the mood. London is no different on a Saturday - shopping on Saturdays is never de rigeur, one should always do this activity on weekdays. Bath during the week would be fine too.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 01:55 PM

On Saturday, of course, so you will be clean for church!

skatterfly, I love your topic titles. This is almost as good as "Virgin with a baby . . . " .
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Will... if they were deliberate, I suppose I could have a good career for myself as a stay at home copywriter!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:32 PM

lol, I agree with Will, the title made me want to reply, a Saturday night bath is best ! and I like your other titles too ~
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 08:02 PM

This doesn't have much to do with your original question, but I read an article that tourism in Bath was way down. Many B&Bs were forced to close ... it doesn't help that the Bath Thermal Spa STILL isn't open yet and it was supposed to be open in 2002 - IT just better be open when I go in May!! (I'm looking forward to it)

Anyway, because tourism is down, you may be able to get some really great deals on accomadations etc. (especially mid week)

You are going to LOVE it there! (DO NOT forget to go to the costume museum! ... When are you going? You may be there for the Jane Austin film costumes exhibit - I"M JEALOUS! I'll miss it )
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Original Poster

FromAtlanta... that's interesting what you've posted about. My husband is so excited about going... he was there nearly 20 years ago with his parents on a 6 week vacation in the UK. It is still to this day one of his favorite places.

We'll be there in just a few weeks now. I can't believe it.

Now we just have to decide which day to go so we can try to take advantage of some good train fares by booking in advance.

~kat
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:24 AM
ira

Hi Kat,

>...my husband wants us to go with his brother who is working that week and can only take the Saturday day trip. <

For long-term peace and harmony in the family, I suggest Saturday.