Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you rent a car in Bath, UK on a Sunday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving in Bath by train on a Saturday late afternoon/evening in June. My husband and I would like to drive around the Cotswolds on Sunday before taking the train out on Monday morning. Are any car rental companies open on Sunday? I am having trouble finding one online.
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Even Saturday Afternoon could be a problem. There may be one but none that I know of.

What you <i>could</i> do maybe is go to Bristol Airport and rent a car there.

But where are you coming from before Bathand where are you headed afterwards? Taking the train to Bath late Sat afternoon and going to the Cotswolds on Sunday means you will have no time at all in Bath. So perhaps rearranging things a bit might make sense.
Old May 21st, 2011, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only place in the UK we found hire car offices open Saturday afternoon and Sunday are the airports. I don't wish to appear rude but why are you staying in Bath if you want to spend all your time in the Cotswolds? Could you get a car first, then drive to the Cotswolds on Saturday, stay in the area, then spend your Sunday there? I can recommend the Lamb Inn in Great Rissington, unless you already have somewhere booked. (Good food too.)

http://thelambinn.com/

Kay
Old May 21st, 2011, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

We are flying into Gatwick Saturday at 1 pm and were planning on taking a train to Bath. I have booked a hotel accomodations for two nights in the Bath city center. My husband was more interested in staying in Bath than in a small village or countryside. We originally were thinking of taking the Mad Max Minibus tour on Sunday. However, a friend, that is from the UK, suggested renting a car and driving ourselves. I was hoping we could spend the evenings seeing the sights in Bath since we do not have a set agenda or must sees there. I would like to spend these two days a little more relaxed just taking in the culture and scenery as we will be spending 4 days in London after.

Is getting to Bristol airport worth the time? Not sure on distance or if trains run there from London.
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM

"<i>I was hoping we could spend the evenings seeing the sights in Bath since we do not have a set agenda or must sees there.</i>"

OK -- but I'd assume you'd at least want to see the Roman Baths. In June last entrance is a 5PM so you won't see them. The sites aren't open in the evenings - the town is, the sites - no.

Bath isn't the best base for the Cotswolds - doable but a long day and probably not the relaxing interlude you imagine.

If you want to see the Cotswolds -- stay in the Cotswolds. If you want to see/enjoy Bath, stay in Bath.
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trains do run to Bristol from London, though not sure about to the airport. A check on the Bristol airport website will tell you about public transport. I think by the time you factor in driving and parking in Bath, which will not be easy, then making your way to the Cotswolds on Sunday morning, it would make more sense to spend the day in Bath.

I don't know anything about the Mad Max tour but if you are dead-set on a day in the Cotswolds then that might be your best bet, no need to worry about getting lost, parking or traffic, just relax and watch the scenery.

Kay
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM

How do you return one on Sunday?

Thanks
Old May 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM

Generally you can't -- except at major airports -- or IF the rental agency has an out-of-hours return procedure. You'd have to contact/ask the individual rental firm.
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:05 PM

Be aware that one-day car rentals are often VERY expensive.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 03:41 AM

A one day rental will last for 24 hours normally, so returning the car on a Monday morning won't be a problem. However, the national car hire companies aren't open, the same being true of the local ones. Your best bet is hiring if you get into Bath on Saturday afternoon before the agencies close and then return the car on Monday.

That will probably involve a two day rental cost plus fuel and a tour will certainly be cheaper at around £35 pp. Your journey will probably be at least 150 miles round trip so you can guess at a cost for fuel of around £30. It does seem a bit strange to head all the way to Bath and not see much of it though. You will really only have one full day there and a quick walk round in the evening won't do it or yourselves much justice.

I can't see that being herded on and off someone's minibus will make for much of a relaxing day either, so you really need to make a decision here. Either spend your time in Bath and enjoy a relaxing two nights and a day in the City, or stay in the Cotswolds, cut out Bath altogether and hire your car on Saturday, returning Monday.