Bath - Glastonbury

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 03:45 AM
anna

Bath - Glastonbury

I took a tour to Salisbury/Stonehedge, and now thinking to do Bath on my own. Is it realistic to do Glastonbury Abbey on the same day without car? Is there anyway to get there by train or bus?
Thanks a lot

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:51 AM
janis

Yes - if you get an early start. Can we assume you are traveling to Bath from London?

Take the train to Bath early in the morning (the train ticket will be cheaper after 10AM but you need to be to Bath by about 9:30AM). Go to the Tourist Information office just around the corner from the Abbey and Roman Baths. They sell 1/2 day tours to Wells/Glastonbury. But the tours do not run every day. If there is no tour that day just get directions for the bus to catch to Glastonbury.

Go to Glastonbury and get back to Bath by early afternoon. Then you will have from say 2 PM until 7PM to see some of Bath before catch ing the train back to London.

Bath does deserve a full day - BUT you can see a lot of it in just a few hours.

(psst - it is Stonehenge - not Stonehedge)

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:39 AM
ron

First Badgerline operates the regular bus services in this area, http://www.firstbadgerline.co.uk/.

If the tour mentioned by Janis is not available, I think you will find that the bus service is too slow and infrequent to make seeing both Bath and Glastonbury on the same day practical.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:01 AM
tom

The bus to Glastonbury is probably too slow. It is possible but very difficult. but you could take the bus to Wells and a taxi from there to Glastonbury.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:20 AM
janis

Tom and Ron are probably correct about the bus being too slow. You plan is possible but you would really need to make connections.

Thinking more about it - this is what I would do. Try for a tour at the tourist office and if you strike out, ask about getting a driver. It would probably cost you £20 or £25+ to have someone drive you to Glastonbury and back (and by car you would have enough time to squeeze in Wells too).

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Jane

We took the train from London to Bath and spent the night in a hotel in Bath. The next day we took the Badgerline to Glastonbury. We loved the Badgerline--it ambles through the charming countryside!!! We returned to London on the train the following day.