Basle Airport to Zurich - Flixbus or train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2016, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Travelling from Basle Airport to Zurich and found a direct bus route with Flixbus. It appears better than taking a bus into Basle station and then a train to Zurich. But has anyone tried it? I found some very negative reviews for Flixbus but they were mainly for long distance trips...so would appreciate any feedback on this route...or other options.
thanks
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 10:06 PM

Hi KatPen,

I haven't taken that specific route, but I've taken the Flixbus between my home in Garmisch and the Munich airport and Innsbruck a few times. A friend also took the bus from Garmisch to the Munich airport. Neither trip is long distance; both are about 2h long under normal circumstances. And the bus was 1h and 2h late for me on two occasions, and my friend was 45 minutes late and almost missed her flight.

The problem is, any time you are on a highway or a road, there is the possibility of a traffic jam. If your schedule is going to be impacted by being delayed by a traffic jam (like catching a flight), then you might want to take the train. If not, then you can enjoy the bus service and hopefully it will be on time.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 12:48 AM

The Flixbus is quite comfortable and it is a short ride. However, the buses are often late due to traffic congestions and you may stand at the bus stop for a considerable time and wait. Not too pleasant.

Here, you can get real-time information about the status of your bus:

https://www.flixbus.com/service/curr...te-information
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 06:35 PM

Well I plan to travel from Basel to Zurich on the train next Summer after the end of a cruise, which is at Basel. There are 5 trains an hour from Basel to Zurich, of which two are the direct faster trains. This seems to be much easier and faster to me, and with a half fare Swiss rail card shouldn't be too costly. Sue
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 06:36 PM

Also the main Basel train station is SBB Basel.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Just to let you know how it went...
The Flixbus was at the bus stop at Basle airport but wouldn't accept Swiss francs. It waited while we changed to euros. Also, it was more expensive than on the website because we couldn't book in advance. But was very convenient having a direct ride and not having to go from airport into Basle train station and lug luggage around from bus to train. On the way back we booked online and it was much cheaper and also on time. So all in all it was a good experience.
thank you all for your input.