Review of 2 Night Bath Itinerary

Old Nov 14th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review of 2 Night Bath Itinerary

Thanks for everyone's help in planning my trip to England thus far. I am in the final detail planning stages for my trip next June 2017. I'd love some feedback on my 2-night Bath itinerary (taking into consideration time of year and day of week - I've heard Bath can get particularly busy on weekends). I also have specific questions for each day.

SATURDAY: Take a 7am train from London to Bath. Arrive 9:30am in Bath. Drop off/store luggage at backpacker's hostel for the day for a small fee. Attend the Mayor's Free Walking Tour 10:30am-12:30pm. Lunch. Visit the Roman Baths at 2pm. Bath Abbey at 4pm. Grab luggage and check-in at B&B around 5pm. Rest before heading back out for dinner.
Questions:
2) Any recommendations for lunch? Dinner?
3) I know the Roman Baths are going to be crowded in the afternoon around 2pm on Saturday - any other suggestions on how to fit the baths into my itinerary at a less busy time?

SUNDAY: Mad Max day tour of Stonehenge, Avebury, Lacock, and Castle Combe. Return to Bath by 6m. Have Sunday roast dinner.
Questions:
1) It is my understanding that many restaurants offer Sunday roast in evening (not just lunch time). Any recommendations for a good Sunday dinner? Especially looking forward to the Yorkshire pudding (my grandma used to make this for us as children).

MONDAY: Sleep in, have breakfast at B&B. Rental car to be delivered at B&B between 10am-11am. Drive to Bathampton for a 2-hour river boat cruise. Drive to Thornbury Castle for overnight stay at the castle.

What am I missing from my itinerary and how do I fit it into the schedule?

Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 01:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Ya know -- I might re-think this a bit. Another option would be to pick up a car at LHR, visit Stonehenge and drive on to Bath. Than have Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday in Bath. Then you could easily visit Lacock and Castle Combe en route to Thornbury.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 01:31 PM

Book those train tickets early for huge savings - www.nationalrail.co.uk.

Though I agree with janisj pick up the car at Heathrow and hit Stonehenge/Avebury and end up in Bath.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
And to add a bit more info -- the drive from Bath directly to Thornbury is only about 30 minutes faster than going via Lacock and Castle Combe. Of course that does not include the two stops -- but w/ decent stops in both villages it would still take less than half a day.
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the alternative option (visiting Castle Combe and Lacock en route to Thornebury), however that won't work for us. We want to sleep in and enjoy breakfast at the B&B Monday morning, we have a romantic river cruise with afternoon tea scheduled in Bathampton, and we want to take advantage of as much time at the castle as possible since it's pretty expensive. Not to mention, our rental car is already booked and paid for.

Given this, are there any other thoughts? Should we skip the full day Mad Max tour and just do sunset Stonehenge tour on Sunday or Monday to give us more time in Bath during the day?

Any input on my other questions in the original post?

Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 06:49 PM

Your energy level seems to be adequate - do the tour. If it is too hurried in a given location, you can always go back once you have your own wheels.

And see if you can work in a side-swing to see Winchester Cathedral (sssshh - don't whistle now, you'd be giving your age away):
www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 03:23 AM

We enjoyed several good meals at both The Chequers and at their 'sister pub' The Marlborough in Bath when visiting our son who was at University there. Not cheap but we thought good value as very good food indeed and with a relaxed atmosphere and friendly professional service. I imagine their Sunday lunch is excellent but am not sure if they serve in evening. Well worth seeing if they are the sort of place you are looking for, you would need to book ahead as they get very busy.

http://www.thechequersbath.com/food-drink/

http://www.marlborough-tavern.com/
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 03:58 AM

Sunday roast usually means Sunday lunch, not dinner. In saying that, they may have some left for dinner...
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 04:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
lots of pubs now offer a Sunday roast all day - open table.co.uk may be able to help you find somewhere if that's what you want.

here's the page for Bath;

http://www.opentable.co.uk/s/?covers...104&pageType=0

good luck!