Reload this Page >

Zurich Airport Hotels

Search

Zurich Airport Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 12:05 AM
Deb Seidler

Zurich Airport Hotels

Is it feasible to stay in Weggis the night prior to a morning departure out of Zurich? Or must one stay in Zurich to assure timely arrival at the airport?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 04:43 AM
jw

Hi, Deb. I didn't say if you're driving or training. If the latter, you can go to the SBB website and plug in Weggis and Zurich Flughafen and see what schedules come up. It's certainly too far for any of my previous return trips from Zurich. (the latest one was 10:15) I've often recommended Bulach as a last night place. (but the hotel Zum Golden Kopf is a bit of a splurge for me) There's a bus that leaves around 7:10 and takes only 15 minutes--an express--, but there are bunches of other buses as well. Easy to do. Dielsdorf is another possibility. Friends of mine stayed in Winterthur, and the train from there to the Flug. was very quick. These are suggestions if you prefer to stay away from the airport/city. Now if you're driving, then our other drivers at this forum will have to tell you if you can arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight. I wouldn't have a clue. J.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 05:16 AM
s

Hello Deb,<BR><BR>In September, I'm doing the same thing -- staying in Weggis before a 10.30 am flight out of Zurich. I think it's do-able, but from Kussnacht, not Weggis.<BR><BR>The connections from Weggis are tangled. You can take a combination of bus/train connections (4 changes in all), leaving Weggis at 6.03 and arriving at Zurich airport at 7.43. If you decide to do this, the connections would be much easier if you sent your luggage onto the airport the night before.<BR><BR>But I've decided to take a taxi to Kussnacht (about 30 CHF, I estimate), the closest train station to Weggis, and take the train from there. One leaves Kussnacht at 6.02, arriving in Zurich airport at 7.43 with three changes, or one leaving Kussnacht at 6.45 and arriving at Zurich airport at 8.15 with one change.<BR><BR>Alternately, you can take a taxi (about 60 chf) to Luzern and catch a train from there.<BR><BR>My hotel also offers a taxi service to the airport. At the Weggis website, I found a taxi service and e-mailed an inquiry about their rates; they quoted 60 chf to Luzern and 150 chf to the airport.<BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR><BR>s

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:43 AM
jw

Wow, s', Weggis must be a wonderful place to make it so important to be there your last night. Guess you'd better tell me about it. J.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Ingo

Why don't you consider Brunnen? It is on a major railway line with direct trains to the airport (or only one change at Zurich Hauptbahnhof).<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Deb Seidler

Hello J, S, and Ingo,<BR><BR>Thanks for your input. J, though I cannot tell you how wonderful Weggis is just yet, I prefer small towns to the bigger ones, even the night prior to departure if possible! 2 Summers ago I was attacked and robbed in Madrid, so I am a bit gun-shy. By the way, we will have a car, so don't have to worry about trains or busses or taxi. Thanks again!<BR><BR>Deb

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:38 AM
s

Hello jw!<BR><BR>This will be my first stay in Weggis, so I can't vouch for its drawing power yet. I chose Weggis over Luzern for the lake views and the tranquility (even though I know Luzern isn't really a bustling place, I wanted to feel that I was in the country). I also wanted to be closer to Luzern than Brunnen is to attend concerts during the festival in Sep. <BR><BR><BR>And Hello Ingo!<BR><BR>I just checked the SBB site for rail connections to the airport from Brunnen, and they're only marginally better. One train leaves Brunnen at 6.40 (one change in Thalwil), arriving at the airport at 8.13. Another leaves at 6.16 (two changes, Zug & Zurich), arriving at 7.45. I guess Brunnen's position way down the lake from Luzern makes it a bit of a stretch.<BR><BR>Deb -- have you made any decisions? I wanted to add that being at the airport the night before is, to me, like leaving the country a day early. I'd rather get up at 04.00 on the day of departure than stay at the airport the night before!<BR><BR>s

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 11:41 AM
s

Hello Deb -- <BR><BR>I see I posted almost at the same time as you did and missed your response. Anyway, have you found the driving routes websites to plan your trip from Weggis to Zurich airport? Try www.mappy.com or www.viamichelin.com to get time/distance estimates.<BR><BR>When will you be in Weggis? Are you going before Sep? Please post a report so I can see how much I'll like it!<BR><BR>s

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Ingo

Hi Deb,<BR><BR>Weggis is indeed a very safe place. Hm, with a car it is worth considering to stay in Gersau, a still smaller and, at least in my opinion, more authentic village.<BR><BR>Hi s,<BR><BR>I am surprised it takes such a long time to go to the airport from Brunnen. But as you know, I do not fly in/out Zurich, so my experience is limited to connections to Zurich Hauptbahnhof.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>Ingo

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 02:55 PM
jjw

Years ago I received some brochures about Gersau and they were lovely. It's probably bigger than it was then, but I've always wanted to stay there.<BR><BR>Ingo, were you not planning to be in the Engadin about now? Perhaps I have my dates wrong.<BR><BR>Deb, if you've a car, then you might consider staying in Regensberg. It's a hilltop village just by Dielsdorf, so only a spit from the flughafen. I'm still hoping someone will pop in here to help you determine your driving time from Weggis to the airport.<BR><BR>note to S': if you are ever in a situation where your flight leaves early, I will risk sounding like a broken record to recommend that you give Bulach a chance. Excellent train connections w/Zurich and Shaffhausen, and the bus to the airport is a cinch. Did I mention that Bulach has some lovely old buildings? -- including my splurge hotel, the Zum Goldenen Kopf. If Bulach had a mountain and a lake, it would be perfect. J.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Deb Seidler

JW,S, and Ingo<BR><BR>You all are amazing and I can only say that I wish I had discovered this chat room sooner. I,too, feel that staying near the airport the night prior to departure is like losing a day. Thus my reason for checking out more appealing alternatives. This go around however, I am traveling with quite a large group of people, so although I have the freedom associated with a vehicle, the others in my party are wanting to stay in Zurich. One of the individuals in our party booked us at the Leoneck in Zurich. Have no idea where it is relative to the airport however. Looks like we are going to be able to stay at the Roggerli in Weggis for at least one night on our way down to the Villa in Montespertoli. My trip dates are July 25 - Aug. 12, so I can definitely check in prior to your trip S, in September.<BR>Ciao for now,<BR>Deb

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 06:12 AM
jw

Hi Deb. Is there a Roggerli in Weggis? Friends of mine liked the Roggerli in Hergiswil very much; perhaps the same family owns more than one? If so, this is a recommendation. J.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:13 AM
s

Hello Again Deb,<BR><BR>I found the address of your hotel in Zurich from my Fodors guidebook; it's at Leonhardrasse 1, apparently not too far from the main train station. You can map its location at www.viamichelin.com, then you can get a route planner to the airport. I just did this and found that it's 7 miles/22 minutes from the airport.<BR><BR>It's a real shame you can't stay in Weggis another night. The viamichelin planner says Weggis is 41 miles and 1.03 hours from the airport, so it seems to be almost as good as staying in Zurich. If you factor in the problems of city traffic -- getting lost, being delayed -- the times might be closer still!<BR><BR>Anyway, you'll also enjoy Zurich! Be sure to take a ride on the lake. One of my mother's friends lives close to Zurich, and when she called yesterday she said she plans to take a cruise to Rapperswil for coffee today. Sounds good to me!!! <BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR><BR>s

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Deb Seidler

S and J,<BR><BR>Thanks for your messages. Ooops....no you are right, there is not a Roggerli in Weggis, but rather, the one you spoke of in Hergiswil. Thanks for reminding me. You know how dizzy your brain can get when receiving so many responses from various hotels. Actually, I love the thought of being a bit more isolated (this is the person who deliberately moved from NYC to Utah!); just need to make sure the others in my party are OK with it. According to mappy.com it is only 3 miles from Luzern.<BR>S, thanks for checking things out with respect to the Leoneck. Taking a cruise to get a cup of coffee is also right up my alley! I think one of my favorite things about Europe is the coffee!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Deb Seidler

Hello again,<BR><BR>Can you let me know what the SBB is and how I access the web site? As you can tell, with most of our trip being spent in Italy, I have not gathered much info on Switzerland. My friend with the car is going to be in Luzern two nights prior to my arrival. I figure there is no reason for her to drive into Zurich. I might as well take a train, especially since we will be staying in Hergiswil.<BR>Salve!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Deb Seidler

Well, I found my way to the SBB web site and I see that it is only a Luzern to Interlaken sort of a train. So if you all can assist with how to train it from Zurich airport to Luzern that would be great!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:34 AM
s

Deb,<BR><BR>Thanks to you, I've spent my morning in Switzerland: Luzern, Zurich, & Weggis. This is so fun. I really need to get a life.<BR><BR>Anyway, I wonder what kind of SBB site you found -- there are loads more trains. Go to www.rail.ch, then click on "Travel/Timetable." At that page, enter "Zurich airport" as the origin and "Luzern" as the destination. click on "tomorrow" or else the engine will default to Swiss now-time, and enter 08.00 (or your estimated departure time). You'll find that there are three trains an hour to Luzern: .13, .33, and .43 after the hour. The .33 one is a direct with 0 changes, but the other two require a change at the main station in Zurich. If you find a connection you like, click on "Journey Guide" to get lots of info, including platform no. etc.<BR><BR>Be sure to find the grocery store at the airport's train station -- load up on bread, cheese, yogurt, chocolate, and water, before you board. Buy coffee from the strolling/rolling snack bar on the train. Then enjoy the scenery! I think there is no better welcome to Switzerland than this: the picnic on a train watching great scenery!<BR><BR>You can find a map of the airport at www.unique-airport.ch (if that's not it exactly, maybe do a search on the web -- the airport is managed by a group called "Unique"). You'll see how to get to the train station from the arrivals area.<BR><BR>Keep the questions coming!<BR><BR>s

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 02:32 PM
jw

Hi, (S', you are sooo funny --what kind of life could be as much fun as this?)<BR>Deb, I can spend hours at sbb.ch w/o even noticing. Just plug in two places and up roll possibilities galore. You can click on English, I think, and then 'timetables', and then fill in the blanks w/a supposed date and time of travel, and away you go. I print out so many of those things, it borders on the ridiculous. And I've figured out (don't mock me if I'm slow) that once a schedule comes up, you can click on a particular boat or bus or train and its entire schedule comes up with all the stops. Same thing for a particular station. Goodness, I've rattled on so, I can't remember if you even asked a question. Bye now, affectionately, J.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Deb Seidler

Yes, S, I too have been saying the same thing....I need to get a life, or enroll in a 12 step program. What make it worse is that I have a DSL connection so I am always dialed up. Each time I happen to walk by my computer I decide to check for replies or post a message or check out a web site. You and J are right however, it is alot of fun and indeed very addicting.<BR><BR>I can't recall where I might have posted this question, but maybe the two of you can help. I will be meeting my friend and her kids at the Lucerne Train Station. Have either of you been there before and can you offer a suggestion as to a central and/or obvious place to meet them? A main info booth perhaps?<BR><BR>Oh and thanks for the train info. I finally figured out the SBB web site and you are right there also. That site alone is addicting! Now if I could only get paid to spend this many hours at my computer! Have either of you spent much time in Italy? Be careful how you answer as there will be more questions from this end!<BR>Ciao for now,<BR>deb

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 04:56 AM
jw

Hi Deb, I couldn't resist going to the SBB site myself. I have to admit to being a little confused myself by now, but did you see the Hergiswil--Flughafen schedule that has a train leaving Hergiswil at 6:47, a ten-minute change in Lucerne, and then a direct train from Lucerne to the Zurich airport arriving at 8:13? That looks pretty good. <BR><BR>W/all our chatter about Switzerland, I almost forgot that this is really a trip to Italy to rent a villa? We'll be interested in your experience there as well. Actually, combining the Swiss experience w/the Italian villa one should provide nice contrasts, both in place and mode of travel. J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -