Barcelona packing list

May 8th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona packing list

We are leaving for BCN in a bit more than a month. Visiting friends, who were in the US last year for 6 months. We will be doing some sightseeing but also a lot of socializing with local friends & family of our friends, so I have to bring more than just casual tourist clothes.

I am debating what to pack. I have some summer dresses and great Athleta skorts. I also probably need a pair of shorts. Shoes: I have a pair of Merrell Agave sandals, http://www.zappos.com/merrell-agave-...130508144655:S.

plus Birkenstocks. But I will need a dressier option for sure. I am debating between Naturalizer Espadrilles and Spring Step slide-ons.

What would you recommend?
May 8th, 2013, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to add that I also have these Chaco shoes that I am thinking of taking with me but it seems like a lot for 2 weeks: http://www.amazon.com/Chaco-ZX-Unawe...024572&sr=1-27.
May 8th, 2013, 03:08 PM

Barcelona women dress pretty conservatively if you'll be in residential areas. But don't be too concerned, you'll see every style there. It's quite a fashionable city downtown, but out of the touristy areas, it's more feminine business attire or casual conservative. It's a very matriarchal society, which we loved it. The buses and metro were easy to navigate in the city. The trains make it easy to take day trips in the area. We loved Tarragona and Girona, to name two. Enjoy!
May 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

BayouGal, thanks for your response on this thread and the other thread. I am still leaning towards the more dressy options with sandals, although suze convinced me to reconsider sneakers.
May 8th, 2013, 09:16 PM

Sorry, but I'm just not a fan of "sneakers" while traveling abroad. They take up too much space, aren't that comfy on the plane and don't look chic with 90% of the outfits I take.

That's not to say I dress up much. I typically take several outfits based in black and khaki with a few bright tops to switch out.

Barcelona has great shopping, so note what the women your age are wearing as accessories and do the same. You'll feel fresh and updated.

But as to the shoes... Unless your hiking Montserrat to see the Black Virgin (which you should...) leave the chunky hiking sandals at home.

I prefer the Merrell's, but would consider something you might wear at home for a dressy afternoon in the City when you'll do a bit of walking.

I'd go for a black wedge sling back with a peep toe for something summery and a little dressy.
May 8th, 2013, 10:04 PM

There are simply no rules on dress code here in Spain.
Dont worry about it and just wear what is comfortable.
May 8th, 2013, 10:36 PM

Nobody will look at your shoes, nobody will care. Wear whatever you like best and is most comfortable.
May 8th, 2013, 11:05 PM

All of my female friends never worried what clothes or shoes they would take TO Barcelona. But if all the clothes and shoes they bought IN Barcelona would fit in the suitcase when they went back home
May 10th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Cowboy1968, I hear you. I am afraid I will be spending mucho dinero myself. I always buy something to wear in Europe. Most of the time, the pieces are great and last a long time.
May 10th, 2013, 07:29 AM

The sales begin in June, some earlier.
May 10th, 2013, 07:31 AM

Well, travelingnomad, you have certainly picked a country with great styles and prices..Unique and fun!! Shopping is a wonderful way to spend some time in Spain. Don't overlook shoes. The leather products are well done, good quality and nicely priced,,some very much $$$ but mid priced are equally as stylish. Fisherman style flats , handmade in Majorica, are a very good deal (around 20euros) as are espradilles..Take a foldup flat duffle in your bag to accomodate the must haves. Zara Home also has items that I haven't seen in No.Am.
May 10th, 2013, 07:54 AM

I am still in favor of one more pair of nice shoes or sandals for you to have with you.

My initial point was that the 3 pair you were considering taking (Birks, Merrell, Chaco) all are kind of the same style, so almost duplicates. I try to take shoes that are more different from each other, in look and function.

My pitch for sneakers is for long days of sight-seeing and walking for miles, I personally can't do that in (even the best) sandals. don't worry, I don't wear them out to dinner or anything!
May 10th, 2013, 10:59 AM

Barcelona is full of tourists ( I got back a week ago) , no worry about what to wear. ...
Like in Paris, the stylish locals were wearing high heel boots or ballet flats - neither one
good for sightseeing.

I try not to walk for miles...there is excellent public transit and, if necessary, taxis. I manage with one
pair of good looking and comfortable shoes. ....In the past it was shoes made by Mephisto or Arche, but this time
Fly from London was perfect.
http://www.polyvore.com/fly_london_s...category_id=41