Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another JEANS question: Will my kids wearing only jeans severely limit our dinner options in Barcelona?

Another JEANS question: Will my kids wearing only jeans severely limit our dinner options in Barcelona?

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Barcelona in March, with a son 16 and daughters 14 and 11. The girls don't own dress slacks. They own jeans and skirts. I was thinking of letting them bring only jeans on our trip....bringing skirts involves entirely different shoes...

I can't imagine that we'll be dining in the evenings at posh, formal restaurants, but we don't want to be severely limited.

Should I come up with some dressier clothes for my kids to wear at night, for the sake of more dining options?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Jeans are well-accepted in BCN at all but the very stuffiest restaurants. You may wish to include one pair of khakis for nicer dinners. In five days, I wore the khakis 3 times (only at dinner). Enjoy! You will have a marvelous time in this amazing city.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 09:48 AM

I don't think they will have any problem and you won't be severely limited. There are not so many posh places in BCN and in all of them, a dinner for five could be a big big hole in anyone's pocket (In Spain, there are few posh places where the food is really good, IMHO)
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:37 AM

I'm sure teenage fashions have changed a lot since I hit 20, but when I were a lass (not so long ago) a lot of informal shoes were OK with skirts - trainers as long as they weren't white, DMs etc.
Just a thought, but your daughters *might* consider skirts OK with some of the shoes they're already taking, which would give them slightly smarter outfits for the evening.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM

You should have no problems. We wore jeans every night but once (black pants) on our recent trip.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:49 AM

What about maybe getting them each a pair of black jeans? The look dressier than the regular blue jeans so that if you had any doubt at all about the "dress code" for a particular place, the black looks more like a pair of slacks.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 11:57 AM

If your kids look like American models, they can go anywhere in jeans. Jeans can be dressed up, of course, but that involves a change in shoes, at which point, they might as well bring a skirt too.

Kenderina, surely you're kidding about the restaurants in Spain -- it's like a Michelin galaxy? Food was the definite highlight of my trip -- absolutely amazing. Have a great time, I'm sooo jealous.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

I bought them each black jeans when we went to Paris. I think one daughter wore hers twice before they were outgrown and the other did not wear hers at all. For some reason, black jeans are very "out" where we live.

And to wear skirts with the same shoes they wear with pants...I wish I had a "rolling eyes" emoticon, so you could see what their reaction would be!

I've wasted a lot of money buying special clothes for trips in the last few years (e.g. those pants with legs that zip off into shorts for the trip to Costa Rica), that I really don't feel like doing it for Barcelona if I can avoid it.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I haven't been to Spain for a few years, but last time I was there, the teens were very neatly dressed.

Could the girls wear ballet flats with their skirts? The skirt + shoes would take up about as much room in the suitcase as another pair of jeans. (Especially if their skirts are like my daughter's, which are about the size of a postage stamp).
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I would buy them a pair of nicer slacks, myself, I just don't understand kids that age not even owning a pair of slacks or anything other than jeans. Also, skirts are very popular in Europe on girls of all ages.

A simply pair of rayon/polyester slacks from a cheaper store (Target, H&M, whatever) shouldn't cost more than $10-15. Anyway, I personally would never wear khakis as an alternative, as I don't think they are dressy, and nothing I'd wear in March anyway, nor in the evening to a nice restaurant (at least not for females). It sounds like they don't own any of those anyway.

YOu can buy some trendy "Mary Jane" type shoes now that would look okay with either jeans or a skirt, and are sort of a combination sneaker/walking shoe. Skecher makes some, for example. I think they might like those. I've seen some at Marshalls or those discount shoe stores. I think those would be a good idea. Barcelona isn't going to be that warm or hot in March, and I imagine it could be cool/rainy. I was in Spain in March once and it was quite cold and rained torrents (in both Madrid and even in Seville). Ballet flats would have been ruined in a few minutes and wouldn't have been sturdy enough for March.