Barcelona - Montserrat

Search

Barcelona - Montserrat

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2019, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona - Montserrat

My wife and I will be in Barcelona in early June. We plan to take a day trip to Montserrat. The info I find on the internet leads me to believe buying combined tickets for the train to Montserrat, and the lift up to the town can only be done at the train station. Is there no way to buy/reserve tickets ahead of time? On the internet?
Old May 18th, 2019, 06:22 AM

Sorry, I can't help you with that exact info, as we went up to the cable car stop with a friend who had a car last week. But I will suggest that no matter how you get there, late afternoon might be best for avoiding crowds and morning fog. That's what our friend told us. The last cable car down was around 7 p.m. - we got up to the town about 4:30 p.m. and had plenty of time to explore.
Old May 18th, 2019, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Good to know.
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:18 AM

Following, we should be in Barcelona a year from now and want to do a day trip to Montserrat.

Apart from visiting the monastery one of the big attractions is the boys choir which sings for about 10 minutes two times every day, at 1 and 5.30pm I believe. Many people like to hike the trail up from the monastery, there’s also a cable car or funicular you can take to the top. All of this will take time and we’re thinking of spending the whole day there.

You can buy consolidated tickets for train, cable cars, monastery, lunch, etc at the station in Barcelona. The link below gives details on all of this. And yes, doesn’t look like you can buy the tickets in advance if you’re going DIY.

As I mentioned earlier haven’t actually been there, at least not recently, this is information I found online while researching the trip. Spain experts will certainly chip in...

https://www.montserrat-tourist-guide...rat-train.html
Old May 18th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was up at Montserrat years ago and I just thought it was a waste of time. So many stinky tourists all pushing and shoving to see the Black Madonna that it was a very unpleasant experience.

Really, it is amazing to me how many people do not wash and use deodorant.

There is a cafeteria up there so you can get a meal.

Good luck, bring a handkerchief dipped in Chanel No 5.

Thin👃
Old May 18th, 2019, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Pepper_von_snoot
I was up at Montserrat years ago and I just thought it was a waste of time. So many stinky tourists all pushing and shoving to see the Black Madonna that it was a very unpleasant experience.

Really, it is amazing to me how many people do not wash and use deodorant.

There is a cafeteria up there so you can get a meal.

Good luck, bring a handkerchief dipped in Chanel No 5.

Thin👃
Wow. That wasn't my experience last week. There was a very orderly line to go up to see the black madonna - they were allowing about 25 people at a time to proceed into the passageway to the stairs, and everyone was respectful of others. We waited about a half hour in total for our turn, and I did not notice any odors at all. It was not a hot day, so perhaps that made a difference. Our friend, who lives in Barcelona, told us it can be more crowded in the high season of summer.

I was glad we had gone up to see the madonna, because the view point into the basilica from where the virgin is located is amazing. After you go up to see the statue, return to the pews below and look all the way up at the place where she is, and see the tiny figures passing - and realize you were just there.

I wouldn't plan more than a half a day at most to visit Montserrat, unless you are going to hike.
Old May 18th, 2019, 02:41 PM

This is just a local train, there isn't any need whatsoever to buy tickets in advance. You can't on small local trains, they don't have reserved seats. People are on the train for other reasons than going up there., also. How could they sell reserved tickets to a cable car or rack railway, that would be impossible.

I think the above link gives best info on how to get there and options.
Old May 18th, 2019, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went in June. Nightmare. I had to take two Klonopin just to get through the morning. Thankfully, I had a few mini bottles of vodka in my bag. What an absolute disaster of a day.

I should have gone shopping at Louis Vuitton instead.

Thin🍷🍸🥂🍾💊