Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona Hotel: Banys Oriental or Hotel Continental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a party of four who will be in BCN for three nights in May prior to a cruise departure. Have done research on hotels and settled on Banys Oriental or Hotel Continental. Recent postings have mentioned that the Banys Oriental is dirty and very noisy. Would appreciate any recent experiences that people woould care to share.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:07 PM

I think you'd be far better off staying at the Hotel Balmes or Hotel Astoria, both Derby Hotels. You'll pay a little more, but you'll be a lot more comfortable during your stay.

http://www.derbyhotels.es
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM

I suggest Hotel Continental Palacete which is a sister hotel to the Continental. A little bit more expensive but worth it. Good breakfast buffet with 24 hr available drinks.It is located i 2 blocks of Plaza Catalunya
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 01:22 PM

The Continental, for the price, is quite the steal. The rooms are fairly basic but more than adequate, with decent-sized bathrooms and cool ceiling fans. AND THE LOCATION!!! Top of the Ramblas right next to Placa Catalunya - can't be beat. You can take your breakfast and eat out on the balcony overlooking the busy Ramblas. Really, the Continental was way more than I expected, and no hotel in Barcelona is better situated.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:33 AM

concur with the continental, stayed there in sept ,clean,friendly staff and well worth the money, if you want to find a nice spanish tapas bar down the rambla turn right by the fruit and veg market its called the jerusalem or something like that very authentic and cheap