Barcelona - Eixample District

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 06:21 PM
Marcia

Barcelona - Eixample District

Maribel indicated in an earlier thread that she prefers to stay in the Eixample District of Barcelona. Any specific suggestions as to hotel? thanks! Marcia

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 06:41 AM
Maribel

Hi Marcia,<BR>My choices in the Eixample:<BR><BR>High end:<BR>Majestic<BR>Claris (but often deals on<BR>Expedia; saw a $156 rate this yr)<BR><BR><BR>Moderate:<BR>Balmes (little sister to Claris)<BR>AC Diplomatic<BR>Hotel America <BR>(brand new-spiffy!<BR>www.new-millenium-hotels.com)<BR><BR>Inexpensive:<BR>Astoria <BR>(sister to Claris/Balmes-Expedia a times has $114 rate with buffet brk.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 08:42 AM
Marcia

Thanks, Maribel!

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 09:34 AM
Jess

I must put in a vote for the Majestic. Absolutely wonderful service--they very happily moved me when I complained that my room smelled bad. Also, I loved the Hermes products and the roof-top pool. I didn't eat in the restuarant there, but read really wonderful things about it. Just up the block there is the greatest modern interior design store. It's the perfect are for strolling & window shopping.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:13 AM
Maribel

Hi Jess,<BR>I agree-location of the Majestic is perfect (plus the shopping all around it!)<BR>Friends of mine, family of 4, had dinner recently at the Drolma in the Majestic-they said it was fabulous (and they like to dine in style) I saw it but didn't have time to try -luxury all the way, elegant but small, so need to reserve a couple of days ahead. Gourmetour gives it an 8/10 and Q for quality. On the pricier side, but chef Fermi Puig is said to be one of Catalunya's best.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 12:28 PM
Andre

Marcia,<BR><BR>Stayed at the Majestic last November. Found it OK.<BR>- Location is A+++<BR>- Lobby was very attractive<BR>- Room was large and nicely furnished, looked out onto a fire escape (that's OK) BUT the bed was hard as a ROCK (and I like firm beds - this is the first time ever that I have found a hotel bed too hard). Worst was that there was a connecting door to the next room and I could hear EVERYTHING going on there - even brushing of teeth!!!<BR><BR>In summary, if they show you to a room with connecting doors, request a change immediately. Also hold off the place if you like soft matresses.<BR><BR>Maribel, you didn't mention the Condes de Barcelona - was this deliberate?<BR><BR>Andre

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 07:23 PM
Maribel

Hi Andre,<BR>Not deliberate at all! I just forgot.<BR>I like the Condes de Barcelona (2 buildings across from each other-in catala, it's Comtes de Barcelona). They were very nice to us during the 1 day nationwide strike in June-everything shut down but one of the few hotel bar-restaurants open for non-guests. Attractive place, great location as well on the Passeig de Gracia. <BR> <BR>And I'll avoid those Majestic connecting rm.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
Marcia

Wow! Thank you guys, one and all. Maybe by the end of the week I'll have this together! Haven't been to Barcelona in over 30 years - loved it then and am really looking forward to it with all the new museums.<BR><BR>Marcia

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:48 AM
kate

I would be interested in hearing comparisons between the Balmes and the Astoria (both Derby hotels), and also comparing these hotels (and their location) to the NH Podium (particularly from a safety/comfort factor in walking around). I've got a booking at the Podium for about 155/135 euros(weekday/weekend) for a week in April, but I see that the Astoria has a rate of 116 euros for the same period, and Balmes has a rate of 122 euros). My budget is up to 150 euros per night, but obviously I'm happy to pay less for the same quality. I'm visiting Barcelona in order to go to the Don Quijote language school (on Gran Via, near Plaza Catalunya).

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:44 AM
Maribel

Hi Kate,<BR>I stayed with friends at the Astoria in July. We snagged that great 114 euro &quot;special leisure&quot; rate including buffet breakfast on the Derby site (not on Expedia-checked my notes). We loved the nice, upscale and very safe location, tony neighborhood, in the upper Eixample, next to the Diagonal, although it's about a 10 min. pleasant stroll from Placa de Catalunya. The Astoria has some nice Art Deco touches, particularly in the lobby, sitting areas and hallways, and the brk. is plentiful and done in style. Our 2 rooms proved to be quite different-one newly renovated in minimalist style with very nice repro furniture, and one that hadn't been freshened in quite a while. But all rms have in room safes, minibars, sat. TV, hair dryers, all the bells and whistles.<BR><BR>Just a few very minor quibbles: <BR>for a Derby hotel, the toiletry amenities were also &quot;minimalist&quot;-just 1 shampoo, 1 conditioner, 1 hand lotion in a small plastic bag, never replenished even though I left a tip each day for the maid (maybe a cost saving thing for those on the low internet rate),<BR>and when we paid the bill I needed to show my reserv. print out to the desk clerk to prove that the brk. was indeed included in the rate, when he assured me that it never is. Upon seeing the proof, he apologized and politely deducted the charge. <BR><BR>We certainly enjoyed the savings and also our great dinners at the always packed and lively El Trobador next door and Paco Meralgo Alta Cocina within easy walking distance, at the corner of Muntaner and Corsega (a great tapas bar to frequent if you're traveling alone-sit at the bar facing the kitchen, and let the chef prepare something wonderful for you-other singles will be doing the same-saw an American family there being taken care of very well by the chef). Also the fantastic Cerveseria Catalana on Rambla de Catalunya and Mallorca is within easy reach-perfect for a single traveller and open 10 a.m. to very late. <BR><BR>We felt there was no reason to spend the extra on the Balmes or Majestic that time. But I would certainly specific a refurbished rm upon checking in (such as #133).<BR><BR>About the NH Podium, it's located below the Eixample to the northeast of the Palau de la Musica. When walking around that area by myself, waiting for my guided visit to the Paulau in June, I made a mental note that that quarter is quite scruffy and that I wouldn't recommend it to friends or stay there myself even though I'm a fan of NH properties. I personally prefer the Eixample.<BR><BR>Hope this helps you to decide.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:31 AM
kate

Maribel: <BR><BR>Thank you for the detailed response. This is exactly the kind of information I was seeking.

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Maribel:<BR><BR>I just wanted to thank you again for your advice regarding hotels. I just got back from Barcelona, and I was very pleased with the Hotel Astoria. My room was very attractive, the staff were friendly and the location was great (about a 15 minute walk to school, very close to restaurants, shopping, sightseeing, etc.) I certainly would stay there again.