Baracelona Apartment

Search

Baracelona Apartment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baracelona Apartment

I am thinking of renting from Habitat Apartments in Barcelona. I am looking at these two apartments - Has anyone ever stayed in either apartment ? Or experience with either apartment or the company. Is the area good ?? Thanks any information would be appreciated

https://www.habitatapartments.com/en...e-gracia-a.htm
=2
https://www.habitatapartments.com/en...rea=5&pagina=2
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 12:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I rented an apartment from Habitat over ten years ago; my experience at that time was good. Locations look good.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 12:42 PM

I rented from them but not one of those.

My experience was okay enough, I guess. I had problems in that the apt I was given a different apt than I had rented. It turned out okay, but I had a confirmation for a different one. The issue is that in this case, I think an entire building was being used as vacation rentals. As with any company, Habitat doesn't own them, they manage the website, etc. And I think they also were the meet and greeter person. So when they led me to this apt, I said that isn't the one I booked, I booked the penthouse with terrace and proved iot by showing them my confirmation email with photo and details, they said, well, we don't know about that but that apt isn't available, this one is.

So nothing I could do about that. It was actually a bit cheaper and they did charge me the lower rate. The apt itself was "ok" but lacked amenities. Again, that isn't really their fault, but you just have to understand this is the case with any company pretty much, they don't really own the apts. The issue was the apt did not even have a coffeemaker. Seriously, I don't do cooking on vacation but I do want coffee. I couldn't believe it. I suppose I could have called to complain and see what would happen, but I just went to the store and bought one of those filter things you can pour coffee through to make some, one cup at a time. I got by.

NO problems with money or other isssues.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 06:01 PM

Both of these apartments look great. We have twice rented apartments from Habitat. We were met by professionals both times; the apartments (not these) were clean and well equipped. Our son, who recommended them to us, has had similar experiences. The last time was the fall of 2017 when we arrived to a city center closed to local transportation and streets filled with 700,000 people seeking independence. We literally had to schlep our bags through the polite protestors, and the Habitat rep was trying to come from another direction on a moped. We were late, and no problem. Five star company from our experience. We usually stay in airbnbs but have found Habitat a better choice in Barcelona.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by whitehall
Both of these apartments look great. We have twice rented apartments from Habitat. We were met by professionals both times; the apartments (not these) were clean and well equipped. Our son, who recommended them to us, has had similar experiences. The last time was the fall of 2017 when we arrived to a city center closed to local transportation and streets filled with 700,000 people seeking independence. We literally had to schlep our bags through the polite protestors, and the Habitat rep was trying to come from another direction on a moped. We were late, and no problem. Five star company from our experience. We usually stay in airbnbs but have found Habitat a better choice in Barcelona.
This may be a stupid question but I have to ask it since I could not find information as clear as I'd like on their website. I found that Habitat also has an option for monthly rentals but do you know if they are open to sales as well? Some of the apartments they offer are indeed quite attractive and I find the idea of having an apartment that is ready-to-live-in enticing. Maybe someone here would know if they have another page for the apartments they have for sale? I am also looking for other offers that have the same level of quality and a here are a couple of listings for apartments in Barcelona I could find up until now. I am having second thoughts since they are not Spanish but their webpage says that they work with locals anyway. My job requires me to spend at least three months in our Barcelona office anyway and after renting different places since 2015, I thought it may be a better idea to simply own a place and let it out through AirBnb or similar services via my Spanish colleagues when I am not there to make an additional income. Maybe I can even offer special discounts for members of 4-5 travel forums that I follow like Fodor's
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 03:42 PM

My advice as someone who has been invested in real estate a lot over the years: Go slow. Especially with a market that may be new to you. And, I apologize, since that was not your question. I am sure that a company like Habitat is well connected to real estate brokers even if they don't actual get involved in brokerage themselves. Although I have not followed things carefully in Barcelona, please be aware that something like 50% of apartments in Barcelona have been turned into short term vacation rentals. And, that has been so unpopular that I believe that there is currently a moratorium on allowing any more short term rentals. You will need to verify the status of that. Also, property values have risen substantially since the big real estate bust in Spain. But things have slowed since the Catalan independence movement has taken hold. This could be good for a buyer, but again I would be very cautious.

Last edited by whitehall; Feb 17th, 2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old Feb 17th, 2019, 08:02 PM

Yes Barcelona has banned any new short term rentals.

I can't imagine why you'd want to limit yourself if looking to buy. There are plenty of local realtor portals you could look at. Also unless you buy new build any thing you buy will likely require some work.

Even at the bottom I don't think Barcelona apartment prices ever approached "cheap". Certainly not like other parts of Spain.