Baggallini Question

Search

Baggallini Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baggallini Question

I've seen Baggallini products recommended in the past as great bags to pack for extra baggage at the end of your trip (because you know we always come home with more than we originally packed!).

My husband (to-be) and I are travelling to London in November for our honeymoon. We're taking only carry-on bags, avoiding checked luggage on the way there. Our trial-runs of packing indicate we can fit our things in 2 small backpacks and one soft-sided weekender bag (all of which are well within the size limit for carry-on).

We're prepared to check the weekender if they require us to (full flight, or whatever reason) and just carry on the small backpacks.

We do have some extra room in the bags to bring things home, but I would like to pack another check-able bag just in case we need more room on the way home.

Are Baggallinis sturdy enough to use as checked luggage?
I'm considering this one:
http://www.baggallini.com/products.a...amp;mode=price

TIA,
motorgirl in Boston
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:26 AM

We purchased and used the Baggalini products just for the purpose you propose. We got the small wallets, great for all the documents and currency you need. We took the large one and used it as our "tote bag". It is strong nylon and probably would go as checked luggage. However, I wouldn't put anything in it but clothes since there is no support. We actually checked our original carryon luggage (sturdier) and used the Baggalline bag as carryon. It worked like a charm.
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 05:49 AM

I don't know about Baggalini, but I often check a Le Sport Sac duffel, which looks similar to the Baggalini's..But as John said, I've never put anything other than clothes abd books in it..nothing breakable
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was picturing filling it with the dirty clothes, which won't be breakable, and carrying on anything breakable, which you've confirmed for me.

I was worried about checking my backpack (just a standard Jansport variety) because the straps aren't removable and I didn't know if the airline would allow it to be checked with the straps flopping about. Should I tie the straps together somehow to make it less likely to ctch on other luggage?
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:25 PM

Thanks to another thread by emjoy I bought 2 Baggalinis for a recent trip. We ended up using one on the return and checking it. It contained: running shoes, dirty clothes, empty daypack, coffee beans (a gift from a friend), etc. Nothing breakable or extremely stealable, but it was pretty full and held up just fine. Great product!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:08 PM

As someone who just had a small wheeled suitcase pretty badly chewed up by a conveyer belt in A'dam -- yeah -- I'd tie down anything that sticks out -- maybe use a bungee cord or some kind of strap?
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Hi motorgirl,

Ask the airline for a large plastic envelope for your checked backpack. I've used them and they work great. Don't know if every airline offers them. Or maybe pack it in a cardboard box to avoid the straps getting caught.

adrienne
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:26 PM

That's a great suggestion Adrienne. Thanks! Unfortunately it comes too late for my bag -- may she RIP. [BTW the airline DID reimburse me reasonably I thought -- they wrote check on the spot!]
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Great idea on the box or bag!
I will definitely ask for a bag, or purchase a box, whichever is necessary.
Thanks for the ideas, everybody, they are very much appreciated.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 10:44 AM

Hello motorgirl, As Marilyn mentioned, I posted my baggallini story in a thread (my baggallini saved my bum in London) after my trip in June. I used them in January to London as well and always used the big zippered bag as a second piece of checked luggage on the return. I stuffed it mostly with dirty clothes and flew Untied and BA. No problems.
I bought one for my Step Father to take to Brazil and his checked baggallini came through American with no problems. I bought another one yesterday to give my Step Mother on her upcoming trip to England and France, and I intend to use mine again on my Ireland and Scotland trip. The bags still look brand new, not scuffed or torn or discolored or anything.
I love my baggallini's- even if I can't always spell baggallini.

Also, consider the day shopping bag, it folds up so tiny it can fit in a small purse and then you have something to carry shopping purchases with that will sling over your arm. Mine fit three bags of groceries in it in Greenwich.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 01:10 PM

Just an FYI-Baggallini bags were originally designed by flight attendents who happen to know a thing or two about bags and flying!