Carry On Luggage Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to buy new luggage for family. From our gateway city, CMH, Skybus, the lowest cost carrier, charges a fee to check luggage. As there are 3 of us, was thinking of buying each of us largest possible carry on. This will avoid any lost luggage issues, as generally there are connections on any other carrier and we have been held up with lost luggage issues.

What should we look out for in new luggage? Can anyone recommend specific types, products that wear better than others. We have bad karma, our luggage gets beat up and lost, so we don't want to spend a lot of money. Thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 08:30 AM

I have had a Samsonite for less than two years. The fabric is fraying. A wheel broke off and cost $25 to replace. And a zipper has broken.

I don't know what to buy, but I have bought $20 suitcases at flea markets that out lasted this Samsonite.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 08:50 AM

A couple years ago, I bought 2 rolling suitcases from the Rick Steves web site. We've taken then on several trips as carryon or checked baggage, and they are holding up well. The contruction is solid and the zippers are pretty robust. So far, no problems with the wheels either, despite bumping them along over cobblestones, gravel paths, up and down stairs and curbs.

The suitcases are designed pretty well - for maximum interior room, outside pockets, an expansion zipper so you have extra room for the stuff you bought on the trip. And they are light when empty, so you don't have to use up much of your weight allowance on the bag itself.

I think we paid about $100-125 each for them.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

BoniseA, can you please share what type of Samsonite luggage you have? There are many different types and I want to ensure we don't end up with that one. Thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally would not get the "largest possible carry on" -- especially if you plan any trips overseas. Many airlines are very sticky about 22 inch bags and the wheels make them too large to fit in the sizer boxes.

I would stick to 20 or 21 inch rollaboards.

Since they are not checked - or not very often anyway - you don't need super high quality luggage. It simply won't take the abuse of checked bags. Check out you local Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx -- all have good prices on luggage.

Macy's seems to have perpetual luggage sales -
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM

The Samsonite came from Kohl's. I think it's a 26 inch but it came in carry on size also. It's soft sided, red. Just a normal 26 inch suitcase.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If you want to be sure they are allowed as carry-on's stick to 19-21" max.

I always find mine for about $50 at a store like Marshalls, TJ Maxx, or JC Pennys. The two I have (22" and 24" that I check-thru) have lasted for years now, like new.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM

I've had good luck with Samsonite. I've had the same big rolling suitcase for years. I don't know the model number, but it's dark green with a khaki colored handle if that helps.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM

We also have those 21" rolling bags from Rick Steve's. Very good bags, and reasonable price. We paid about $115 at the AAA store this summer, but I saw them on the REI Outlet website a month ago for $85. DD and I bought them for a trip this summer, and now DH keeps taking mine on his business trips. Of course I asked him if he wanted one when I saw the REI deal and he said his old bag was fine. Guess not...he keeps taking this new one.

BTW, we also do carry on only, and these bags were very easy to maneuver. They do expand if you decide you want to check them.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 12:49 PM

According to the news on the radio this morning, Skybus is turning up its toes by the end of the year. Not a huge surprise.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
mma

We have had good luck with Travelpro bought at Marshalls or TJMaxx.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM

22 inches is usually the max an airline will allow to carry on (be aware of all the new rules with liquids etc. i.e. if you have a specific hair product that only comes in a large can, you will have to check your bag in anyway as is always the case with me).

I agree with TJ Maxx and Marshall's suggestions. I would add Ross to that. Same quality brands, but at half the price. The carry-on sizes are usually $25-40 there; all the top brands. Look for something with good thick wide zippers. I find those break a lot. And as few fragile plastic parts as possible.